This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

An exercise journey is not one size fits all. Everybody finds their own way to get moving, whether they be intense weightlifters or just morning walkers. Exercise can boost your mood with a rush of endorphins, but the most fun part is finding a way that you enjoy. With the increase of online platforms and studios, options for exercise have blown up. The choices might seem overwhelming at first, but don’t worry: below are some of our favorites. Have fun with them! Put on your best pair of leggings, get an exercise buddy to join you at the gym and try something new!

Strength Training

Weights can seem a little intimidating at first. There’s a bunch of machines and contraptions that look confusing. Plus a bunch of guys in tanks taking up space. Strength training is so important though to build and maintain muscle. Weights can be incorporated into a routine easily; just grab a pair of dumbbells and claim a spot with enough room to move. Start here until you get more familiar and comfortable with your surroundings. You can either do a total body strength or target specific muscles like leg day. Begin with basic compound movements: squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, chest press, rows and lunges. Master the form first before adding any weight. Remember to warm up and cool down to avoid any injury and prevent soreness!

Spin

If running gives you flashbacks to P.E.’s pacer test, cycling might be a great way to get some cardio in for you. Spin is a stationary bike, normally with either a knob or button to increase resistance. Adding resistance is a great way to build strength during a cardio session. Think of it like either riding a flat road or up a hill. Spin will mostly work the legs, in particular, the quads and glutes but proper form really engages the core. Cycling is super popular in group class studios but can be accessible by yourself. Online are great examples of classes that go through different speeds and resistance levels. If you’re planning your own workout on a bike, try intervals of effort to rest to get the most out of your workout.

HIIT

For busy college students, High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a great way to get the job done quickly. Trust me, you’ll be breaking a sweat in no time. HIIT can be accomplished with cardio machines, bodyweight or lightweights. As a rule of thumb, the heavier you go the more rest you need. The idea is simple: time-out intervals with prescribed effort and rest. A common time is 30 seconds on 30 seconds off or a 1:1 ratio. Shorter bursts of energy can be called Tabata training or a 2:1 ratio. My favorite HIIT exercises with cardio machines are sprints on a treadmill or jogging on a stair master. If you’re incorporating strength training try something like squat jumps, kettlebell swings, plank variations or (the worst) burpees. HIIT is an excellent way to get in an effective, but quick workout (try not to exceed 30 minutes). However, make sure it’s not your only form of exercise for safety’s sake!

Yoga

Yoga is supposed to be a super relaxing practice, but anybody who’s ever held down dog forever knows that doesn’t mean it’s easy. A combination of strength and stretching, yoga is great for anybody who wants to get moving. You’ll find out your strengths and weaknesses pretty quickly, but develop great skills like breathing techniques, balance, core engagement and flexibility. Yoga works through sequences that can seem like a lot at first. If you’re solo practicing, start with sun salutations: a basic flow with a forward fold, plank and down dog. Some variations throw in lunges, yoga pushups and additional stretch time. From there, explore the practice on YouTube or a yoga platform. Once the opportunity arises, a live class can be a great experience that leaves you feeling strong and refreshed.

Barre

If you grew up dreaming about being a ballerina, barre is your chance. The class is a combination of principal dance and Pilates that activates the core and focuses on flexibility and strength. You can expect a lot of very small movements, pulses and holds. Barre looks simple but you will burn in the best way. The class makes form the priority and believes it is better to start small and correct. All you need is something to hold onto (trust me you’ll want it there), and maybe a bun.

The options are endless when it comes to ways to move your body, so make it your own. Remember, your number one priority is taking care of yourself so stay safe and know your limits. The best workout is not one where you hit a personal record or sweat the most, but one where you had fun!

Anna Smith

Northwestern '24

Anna Smith is a freshman from Springfield, Missouri studying Social Policy at Northwestern. She loves coffee shops, her dog, and trying new experiences.