danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Coming Home for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Returning home in the summer can be difficult. Going from the freedom of campus to living with one’s parents can be jarring. It can also be rewarding, as it gives us time to reconnect with people we may not have seen for three to six months. It is important to also use the summer to gain experience – not just for your resume, but for your own personal growth.

Some things one can do is see if there are any volunteering opportunities in a cause you are passionate about. I, for example, am interested in women’s issues and immigration, and so I have opted to intern/volunteer for city NGO that would allow me to use my skills for such a cause.

Also, summer is a great time to catch up with friends, old teachers and employers. Perhaps they could provide you with networking opportunities for a job, volunteering or just events that may be of interest to you. It is always a good idea to stay connected with people, as they may be able to help you find new opportunities or support with whatever you may need.

Finally, have fun. It is not often you will be able to have three or more months off, so use it to refuel physically, emotionally and spiritually. Watch a movie, jog in the park and take part in the festivities in your local town or city. Summer is a time to also enjoy your free time, so make the most of it.

Gif Courtesy of Giphy

I am in my second year at Medill. I am interested in issues of race, gender, diversity, international politics, and arts/culture. When I am not busy in class or writing for Her Campus, I can be found quietly listening to music or strolling on campus.
Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.