sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

8 Sweet Recipes to Bring Valentine’s Day to the Next Level

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In middle school, I had an avid baking phase. Ask any of my friends from home or consult the baking Instagram account hiding in the depths of the internet. I made desserts for literally every holiday — even Halloween when I accumulated enough candy to last a year. So, with Valentine’s Day around the corner, I thought it only fitting to compile some of the tastiest desserts on the internet. Now, this isn’t your typical chocolate strawberries or ice cream. Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s or Galentine’s Day, these desserts are sure to be a hit. Ditch the classics and make the day special with these amazing recipes:

1. Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake

In my opinion, there is literally no better combo than chocolate, strawberries, and cheesecake. Classic chocolate-covered strawberries have dominated Valentine’s Day dessert spreads, but this recipe will definitely kick it up a notch. 

1. Broken Heart Chocolate Cake

Bitter about Valentine’s but still want to eat something delicious? Skip boring chocolate cake and try this “Broken Heart” recipe, complete with candy glass. This one might be more of a time commitment, but the end result will definitely be worth it. Hey, it might even be therapeutic.

1. Sweetheart Swirl Bark

This dessert is really a DIY project that would be super cute to make with friends or that special someone. You can add conversation candy hearts and sprinkles to the bark (like the recipe suggests) or whatever your heart desires!

1. Cherry Garcia Brownies

Cherries and fudge flakes make Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream a fan favorite. I can’t argue that it’s a classic. If you’re a fan, you are sure to love this brownie version packed with fresh cherries, cream cheese, and chocolate chips.

1. Creamy Strawberry Crepes

Who says you can’t have dessert for breakfast? This is one of my favorite sweet recipes to make for my family year round, but, of course, I had to sneak it into this list. These sweet crepes with strawberries can even be dressed up with some whipped cream and chocolate sauce. 

1. Death by Chocolate Trifle

Don’t worry, this trifle won’t turn out like the one in “Friends”. This fancy-looking yet easy-to-make dessert contains chocolate cake, fudge sauce, pudding, Oreo cookies, and chocolate chips, so the name is pretty fitting. The recipe includes tips and variations to DIY as you wish!

1. White Chocolate Raspberry Parfaits

If the previous dessert sounds like your worst nightmare, look no further. Milk and dark chocolate haters everywhere: this one’s for you. Chocolate is a Valentine’s Day staple, but this recipe proves that white chocolate can be just as good. Combined with raspberries, this is definitely the tastiest parfait ever. 

1. Sparkle Sweetheart Cookies

Red and pink sugar cookies? Been there, done that. These adorable cream cheese sugar cookies coated in sprinkles with a chocolate heart on top are a game-changer. And, the best part is: no cookie cutters required!

No matter if your Valentine’s Day looks like a romantic dinner with your significant other or a night curled up on the couch with a rom-com and snacks, baking can be super relaxing and treating yourself is a great way to show some self-love. As this special (or dreaded) day approaches, be sure to remind a loved one that they matter to you, and pass along some of these recipes to spread the love.

Maya Slaughter

Northwestern '25

Maya Slaughter is a Northwestern University theatre major from New Jersey. When not performing or writing, you can find her cooking, riding Peloton, rewatching New Girl, taking pictures of her friends in 0.5x, and drinking iced coffee.