7 Ways to Get Ready for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

For all of us collegiettes on the quarter system, summer break might still seem as though it’s too far away to even daydream about during Poli Sci lecture. Truth is, I’m still counting down the days until my own summer adventure!

We received some lovely goodies in our Her Campus Summer Survival Kit that have us anticipating all the great things that can come when you #CelebrateYourself . Here are 7 ways to get pumped for summer, including some exclusive offers from the kit!

First things first, treat yourself 

Celebrate all of the hard work that you’ve put in this quarter by chowing down on a Chipotle burrito or burrito bowl. There’s nothing like the sweet taste of success to get you through the constant whirlwind of spring quarter am I right?

Grab a friend and use the special BOGO cards to celebrate all that you’ve accomplished thus far. I garauntee you’ll feel rejuvenuated enough to keep charging on!

Be prepared for anything

Perhaps the best way to finish out the rest of spring quarter is to embrace a bit of that summer spontaneity early on. Go to that cool thirft shop that you’ve always wanted to check out. Hop on the train for an all-day adventure one weekend in Chicago.

Think you might want to go dancing in the rain? Be sure to carry an ‘April Showers’ poncho from Boohoo with you at all times. Plus, the #WeAreUSA promo code (HerCampus30) gives you an exclusive 30% off discount at the online retailer. Celebrate your individual sense of style and the fact that right outfit can make a collegiette feel ready to conquer the world!

Work it out

One of the best parts about getting excited for summer is that there’s this fresh sense of motivation and inspiration to get outdoors and get active. When the weather’s nice, it makes the thought of trekking to the gym, going on a bike ride or a run sound so much more appealing when there’s actual sunshine to enjoy.

Subscribing to site like Crunch Live is a solid move because it lets you workout wherever you want–even on the lakefill. Carry your workouts with you using this virtual gym and mix up how you stay active! We’ve also got a 30-day free trial of Crunch Live using the access code HERCAMPUS.

Saving up for adventure!

Nicole Lapin’s book, Rich Bitch: A Simple 12-Step  Plan for Getting Your Financial Life Together…Finally, is the brutually honest guide to budgeting that we’re all in need of sometimes! Nicole is a money expert and financial journalist, so she knows her stuff.

It’s an all out guide covering everything from when splurging is okay, investing in yourslelf and flat out financial wisdom. I’d recommend reading if you’re completely lost on how you can afford tickets to that big music festival this summer. Celebrate having your finances in order to have as many adventures as possible this summer! 

Try out a new look

Blink Tattoos are the quintessintial flash tattoo: fun, flirty and fast! Try out a few of these bad boys in the weeks leading up to break and you’ll feel as though you’re already in summer mode. The LAX Collection features celeb tattoos, the MIA Collection lets you glow under blacklight and the DXB Collection are all inspired by rock n’ roll. Try out the exclusive code HERCAMPUSVP for 15% off over at blinktats.com

Don’t have a summer internship? Consider being your own boss!

Chloe + Isabel  is a fashion jewelry brand that empowers each individual’s entreuprenuirial spirit! Their c+i GEM Program is set up so that college students get marketable, real-world experience running their own business.

GEM even offers specialized training and coaching for participants. This is a really cool opportunity to try out a unique summer job that still offers incredible perks (including 25-40% commission on all personal sales + a personal recommendation from the CEO/Founder)!

Get the best summer reads

For those who don’t know, Her Campus came out with its first ever book: The Her Campus Guide to College Life this past month. It covers everything to do with college from dealing with roommates, nailing an internship, studying abroad and so much more. Be sure to grab a copy for yourself or a friend to read by the time summer break rolls around (preferably poolside). Learn more about the #HCBook here: http://www.hercampus.com/book.

We’re planning on finishing out the quarter strong, but there’s nothing wrong with a little summer daydreaming + preparation every now and then. Share a photo of yourself via Instagram sharing how you’d use any of the above items to #CelebrateYourself for the chance to win some of these goodies!

Cover photo found through Google Images. Last image courtesy of Her Campus nationals. All other images are my own!

Haley Smith

Northwestern

Haley is currently a Journalism major at Northwestern University, Sociology minor. She is also pursuing a certificate in Integrated Marketing Communications. She has written for several campus publications and is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She has a few unhealthy habits that include obsessing over British boys with good hair, wanting to watch way too many eighties movies and lurking on various forms of social media.