7 Tips to Become an Eco-Friendly College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

While the current US presidential administration may not accept our changing environment, it is a fact that our earth is slowly dying and we are undergoing climate change. Earth day is on April 22, and with these seven easy tips, you can become more eco-friendly on campus.  

1. Turn off the lights when you leave any room.

Whether you are running out of your dorm room or you are the last one to leave the classroom, make sure to turn the lights off before you leave. While it may seem like a small act, it can make a big difference in energy consumption and the electric bill. That may not seem like a big deal when the university is playing the dorm’s electricity bills, when you are paying your own bill it can make a huge difference. Less energy usage means less waste and more beneficial for the environment.

2. Use a reusable water bottle

This one of the easiest changes you can make that will have a profound impact on the environment. Plastic production is increasing every year, and any economist can tell you this is due to an increase for a demand in plastic water bottles. While many plastic water bottles are recycled by environmentally conscious citizens, there are billions that end up in landfills. In 2012, just nine percent of all plastic waste was recycled. Using a reusable water bottle can save you money on expensive plastic bottles at every meal and is also a cool way to express yourself!

3. Take notes electronically

While not all professors will allow laptops in class, taking reading notes on your laptop will save you the pain of hand cramps and the environment. Notebooks can also get expensive, so use the already incredibly expensive technology you have access to. It will also stop the waste of paper, which many college students are guilty of. If your professor allows laptops, take full advantage of it—the environment will thank you for it.

4. Use a reusable tote bag when shopping

In Chicago, there is no reason not to use a reusable tote bag when shopping, especially considering the 2017 bag tax of 7 cents per bag at all Chicago retailers. Tote bags are environmentally friendly and can also be a great way to express your style or rep an organization you care about. They will also fold down into pretty small, so it can be easily slipped into your backpack or purse. 

5. Recycle

From the time you were in preschool, you were taught the three “Rs”: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. It should be a no brainer by now. Everything from old class syllabuses to that wine bottle you’re hiding from your RA in your sock drawer, should be recycled. All rooms in the Northwestern’s residence halls give you a designated recycling bin, so there’s no excuse not to use it! Don’t forget to look at the bottom of the bottles for the recycling number. In Evanston, you can recycle bottles with numbers one through five and seven on the bottom.

6. Walk, bike, or take public transportation

As a college student, you probably don’t have access to a car, so this one is easy to do! Not only is walking good for you, it’s free and you can do it in all types of weather (although it’s better when it’s warm out). Evanston and Chicago both offer amazing public transportation options, such as several trains that take you into the heart of downtown Chicago and busses to almost everywhere the trains can’t go. If you’re REALLY against public transportation, try taking an UberPool or Lyft Line to save a few bucks and reduce the amount of emissions in the atmosphere.

7. When shopping, try thrift stores

Not only is it trendy right now, thrift or consignment shops can be beneficial for your budget and the environment. A store like Crossroads in downtown Evanston has hundreds of pieces of clothing and accessories that are like new but at a fraction of the original selling price. Thrift shopping is eco-friendly because it’s reusing a previously made item, instead of a company producing a similar product and contributing to factory-made pollution.

Freshman Medill student at Northwestern University