This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Springtime has arrived! Now that the sun is (hopefully) here to stay and the Evanston snow has finally stopped, it’s officially picnic season! Whether you choose to take a walk down to the lake fill, head up to North Beach or just hang out in the park, having a picnic is a perfect way to take advantage of the beautiful, sunny weather.

Packing a picnic can also be a great way to get creative and make a simple outing with friends or loved ones even more special. Below, I have put together a list of fun and delicious treats perfect for packing on your first picnic of spring quarter.

1. Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad

Prep-Time: 1 hour 15 mins (including wait time)

Serving Size: 4-6

If you like to plan ahead, this dish is perfect for you because it can be prepared several days in advance and served hot or cold.

You will need:

2 cups of chopped, ripe tomatoes

2 cloves of minced garlic

1 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

4 cups of pasta {your choice}

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

A pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

Begin by adding the tomatoes, garlic, salt, balsamic vinegar, sugar, olive oil and red pepper flakes (if desired) into a large mixing bowl. Stir the mixture and let it sit for at least 1 hour. Next, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Finally, before combining the pasta with the tomato mixture, chop the fresh basil into the bowl of tomato sauce. Mix the drained pasta into the tomato sauce and serve.

Tip: Use mason jars to pack individual servings of pasta.

2. Chicken Pesto Sandwiches

Prep-Time: 10 minutes

Serving Size: 3-4

Both fresh and filling, this sandwich is perfect for any picnic!

You will need:

2 cups shredded chicken breast

1/4 cup Greek yogurt

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 baguette, cut into 3-4 equal pieces, toasted, for serving

2 cups arugula, (optional)

2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced, for serving

8 ounces mozzarella, sliced

For the pesto sauce:

1 cup of fresh basil leaves

3 cloves of peeled garlic,

3 tablespoons of pine nuts

1/3 cup grated Parmesan

1/3 cup olive oil

Start by slicing your baguette open and cutting it into 3 to 4 equal pieces—depending on the size of your picnic group. Lay the bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly golden brown. While the bread toasts, combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add the olive oil in small increments until emulsified. Combine ½ cup of the pesto sauce with the Greek yogurt, pre-shredded chicken and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on toasted bread with sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and arugula for a delicious sandwich that screams springtime.

Tip: Stick toothpicks through the sandwiches to hold everything together and make them a little fancier!

3. Chicken Pineapple Shish Kabobs

Prep-Time: 45 minutes

Serving Size: 6

This portable treat makes packing for a picnic super easy!

You will need:

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1½ inch chunks

4 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press

3 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained

20 cherry tomatoes

1 bell pepper, cut into chunks

IMPORTANT: Begin by soaking skewers in water for 30 minutes and preheating the oven to 425 degrees.

Combine the salt, pepper, garlic, honey, mustard, soy sauce, lemon juice, bell peppers and chopped chicken in a Ziploc bag and let it marinate in the fridge for anywhere between 1 hour and overnight, making sure to rotate the bag two to three times. Prepare the kabobs by layering the chicken, pineapple, tomatoes and bell peppers onto the wooden skewers. Be sure to discard the remaining marinade.

Next, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a cooling rack on top. Lay the skewers one inch apart on the cooling rack and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the skewers over and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and enjoy!

Tip: Switch out the protein or vegetables in this dish for your favorite to make the perfect kabobs for you and your friends.

4. Shrimp Wraps & Melon-Cucumber Relish

Prep-Time: 15 minutes

Serving Size: 4

Fresh, filling and flavorful, this wrap is exactly what you want on a warm spring day.

You will need:

1 lb. medium shrimp

¼ cup fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cumin

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoon vegetable oil

4 10-inch sandwich wraps/tortillas

¼ cup Curry-Dijon Mayonnaise

1 cup Melon-Cucumber Relish

Begin by combining the shrimp, cilantro, salt, pepper, cilantro and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a large skillet over high heat, sauté the shrimp in hot oil until fully cooked—for about 4 minutes. To combine the wraps, place one wrap/tortilla on a clean work surface and add a tablespoon of the Curry-Dijon Mayonnaise. Place 4-6 shrimp on each wrap and top with ¼ cup of the Melon-Cucumber Relish before folding.

Tip: Add fresh, sliced melon or avocado to the wraps before folding for extra crunch and fresh flavor.

5. Mango Slaw & Coconut-Lime Dressing

Prep-Time: 30 minutes

Serving Size: 4-6

Light and fresh, this salad takes advantage of the springtime produce to create the perfect side dish for any picnic.

You will need:

2 firm, ripened mangos – peeled and julienned

1/3 head of cabbage – finely shredded

2 medium red bell peppers – julienned

1 bunch of cilantro – roughly chopped

Thai Ginger-Lime Sea Salt, (optional)

1/2 cup toasted, crushed peanuts (optional)

For the dressing:

3/4 cup of coconut milk

1/4 cup of fresh lime juice

2 teaspoons of sugar

2 teaspoons of lemongrass powder

Begin with the dressing by whisking together the coconut milk, lime juice, sugar and lemongrass powder in a small bowl and set it aside in the fridge for 15 minutes. In a large salad bowl, combine the mango, cabbage, red bell peppers and cilantro. Once the dressing has set, drizzle it over the salad and adjust seasonings to taste. Finally, let the salad sit in the fridge for 15 more minutes. Serve with crushed peanuts and Thai ginger-lime sea salt if desired.

Tip: Substitute coconut sugar instead of regular sugar for extra flavor.

6. S’more Cookies

Prep-Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Serving Size: 18 cookies

Even picnics need to include dessert!

You will need:

2 cups all-purpose flour

10 graham crackers, crushed

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoons salt

2 stick unsalted butter

½ cups granulated sugar

½ cups dark-brown sugar

1 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 large eggs

8 ounces dark chocolate chips

2 cups marshmallow crème

2¼ teaspoons sea salt

Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and lining 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, and salt. Next, with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars for 2 to 3 minutes, and continue by adding the vanilla and eggs to the mixture, one at a time. Slowly add the flour mixture and combine, careful not to over-mix.

Drop the dough in 2-tablespoon portions onto the baking sheets and gently press down on each ball of dough with the palm of your hand until flattened to about 1/2-inch thick. Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. After the cookies have cooled on the trays for 5 minutes, transfer them to a rack to cool completely.

Finally, melt the chocolate and let it cool for 2 to 4 minutes. Using a spoon, ice each cookie with 1 heaping teaspoon of marshmallow crème and drizzle 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate on top of the crème, using the spoon to swirl them together. Sprinkle the cookies immediately with salt and let them harden 30 minutes before serving.

Tip: Sprinkle crushed graham crackers on top before the icing hardens for extra crunch!

7. Lemonade Cranberry Coolers

Prep-Time: 5 minutes (not including freezer time)

Serving Size: 2, easily adjusted

Make sure to keep cool and try out this recipe for lemonade cranberry coolers!

You will need:

1 1/4 cups cranberry juice

14 mint leaves, washed and stems removed

1 cup lemonade

1 cup lemon-lime soda

Begin by filling an ice cube tray with cranberry juice and place a fresh mint leaf in each cube. Place in the freezer until completely frozen and ready to use. Next, fill two tall glasses with ½ cup of lemonade and ½ cup of lemon-lime soda each. Add 2-3 cranberry mint cubes to each glass, stir and enjoy!

Tip: Use portable drink containers to make transporting your drinks even easier.

Now that you know exactly what to bring with you, grab some friends and head out to enjoy the beautiful springtime view!