This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
Move over winter! Spring is here, with renewed motivation to feel and look our best. With the changing of the time and season, Her Campus is here to help any collegiette spring forward their health with some quick tips that are super easy to implement. What better way to kick off amazing weather than to take care of ourselves a little better?

1. Eat produce that is in season

You’ve been told for decades to eat your fruits and veggies. But what you aren’t told is which fruits and veggies. Buying produce that is in season helps out the environment by cutting the environmental effects of shipping out of season produce into the stores, and supplementing your diet with fresh fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways to give your health a boost. Some produce in season March through May are broccoli, asparagus, spinach, mango, strawberries and pineapple, but you can check out the full list here.

2. Move more

The beautiful weather is the perfect excuse to get moving! Instead of taking public transport or driving somewhere, use the one mile rule and walk anywhere that is less than a mile away from you. Just a little bit more walking every day will help you get those 10,000 steps and make a huge difference in the long run.

3. Spend time outside

The sun really does make a difference in your health. By giving us vitamin D, it protects our bones, helps our our immune systems and maintains healthy muscle and nerve functioning. Soaking up some rays may give you a nice tan, but it can also actually make you happier and take away some seasonal depression symptoms left over from winter.

4. Add some weight to your routine

While you’ve been really good about logging in your gym time, how can you step it up a notch? Follow the lead of fitness guru Kayla Itsines and add some extra weight to your typical routine with ankle weights, or test out a weightlifting program. Resistance training seriously boosts your metabolism and leans you out, not to mention strengthening muscles that can cause injury when they’re weak.

5. Have a picnic

Take advantage of beautiful weather and in-season produce and take your food outside! The combination of vitamin D from the sun and healthy choices along with some quality time with friends is the perfect way to give your body a little TLC, not to mention that cooking your own food instead of eating out is also a great way to stay healthy and eat foods that are good for your body (and wallet).

6. Wake up earlier

Longer days, earlier sunrise and more sunshine are a couple great things about Spring. Use the extra hours of sunlight to jumpstart your day and be productive in the morning! Waking up early and going to bed early helps align your body to its natural circadian rhythms. Some studies even show that people who get up early have higher grades! With benefits in both school and your mental health, it’s worth giving a try even if you’re a night owl.
Even if you don’t have much time, small changes in your lifestyle can make a huge difference. Spring forward your health and get moving!