Feature Hero Oat Milk Heropng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Feature Hero Oat Milk Heropng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Megan Charles / Her Campus

5 Reasons You Should Switch to Oat Milk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

When I switched to almond milk, I thought I was helping the environment by eliminating the environmental impact dairy milk has on the environment, but little did I know that consumption of almond milk also hurts the environment. While almond milk may not contribute to animal cruelty like dairy milk does, it still is not the best choice for those who are environmentally conscious. Those who are trying to minimize their impact on the environment should choose to drink oat milk instead of almond milk. Here are five reasons why oat milk is a better choice than almond milk.

Oat milk is better for the environment

Although oat milk is still responsible for negatively impacting the environment, overall, oat milk is a more environmentally friendly plant-based milk than almond milk. Oat milk requires much less water than almond milk, and oats use 80% less land than dairy and almond milk. It is important to note that almond milk’s greenhouse gas emissions are lower than oat milk. Growing oats requires much less water and land than all other types of milk, and no animals are involved in the process. It takes 15 gallons of water to produce 16 almonds, and one gallon of almond milk contains approximately 100 almonds.

It is packed with nutrients and vitamins

Oat milk is high in fiber and just one cup of it will contain about 130 calories and 25 percent of your recommended daily allowance for vitamin D. Oat milk is packed with vitamins and minerals, including A, D, B2, B12 and calcium. Oat milk is also high in protein. Although oat milk is higher in calories and carbohydrates than almond milk, overall, oat milk seems to be the better choice for those who are environmentally conscious and looking for a milk that is packed with nutrients.

It is cholesterol free

Nearly 30 million Americans suffer from high cholesterol.​ Foods that are high in cholesterol are fried foods, fast food, processed meats and desserts. Many people find themselves eating fast food or unhealthy foods, so oat milk is a great way to balance your cholesterol. With high cholesterol affecting so many individuals, oat milk is a great way to avoid cholesterol while still being able to have milk.

It is better for the bee population

Many people may be unaware of the impact almond milk has on the already declining bee population. Pesticides are commonly used by almond farmers, and these pesticides are impacting honeybees’ immune systems and reproductive cycles. The bee population has been in steady decline for decades, and with almond milk’s rise in popularity, the honey bee population is suffering.

It is a more enjoyable experience

Oat milk also has a creamy texture that is similar to dairy milk. When I was drinking almond milk, one thing that I didn’t like was how thin it was. Especially when making or making coffee, almond milk did not have a similar consistency to dairy milk. Oat milk, on the other hand, is creamier and richer, making it a better milk for coffee and baking. While eating cereal, almond milk seems watery and too thin, but eating cereal with oat milk seemed identical to my experience with dairy milk.

While any plant-based milk is better for the environment than dairy milk, oat milk is the best option. Not only is oat milk packed with more nutrients than other plant-based milks, but it is also better for the environment than almond milk. Oat milk is the best choice to minimize negative environmental impacts from milk production. 

Cydney Johnson

Northwestern '24

My name is Cydney Johnson and I am a freshman at Northwestern. My hometown is Los Angeles, California. I am currently planning on double-majoring in Radio, Television, Video & Film and International Studies.