absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Quick and Easy DIY Summer Ice Pops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Spring/summer has finally arrived! With such beautiful, warm weather, it’s the perfect time to have a sweet, frozen treat. The lack of ice cream trucks in Evanston can make this a little difficult, but fear not! There are plenty of ways to make the perfect ice pops right in your dorm or apartment—even if you don’t have an ice pop mold! Check out these five delicious recipes and some easy, DIY popsicle molds.  

Horchata Ice Pops:

Time: 5 Minutes, Serves: 8

INGREDIENTS

3 ½ cups rice milk

½ cup heavy cream

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

pinch fine salt

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, whisk together the rice milk, cinnamon, sugar, cream and salt until completely smooth. Then divide the mixture evenly into 10 empty yogurt or pudding containers. Cover each container with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Be sure to secure tightly around each container. Finish by inserting a popsicle stick into each container and placing the ice pops in the freezer until firm—about four hours. 

Peaches and Cream Pops:

Time: 10 Minutes, Serves: 8

INGREDIENTS

3cups peach nectar (100 percent peach juice)

¾ cup heavy cream

¼ cup brown sugar

1tablespoon grated fresh ginger

1 pinch of fine salt

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, whisk together the peach nectar, sugar, ginger, cream and salt until completely smooth. Next, pour divide the mixture evenly into small paper cups. Insert the ice pop sticks and freeze the cups until firm—about four hours. 

Virgin Piña Colada Ice Pops:

Time: 15 Minutes, Serves: 8

INGREDIENTS

1/2 large pineapple, chopped (about 4 cups)

1 15-ounce can cream of coconut

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 pinch fine salt

DIRECTIONS

Begin by pureeing the pineapple, lime juice, cream of coconut and salt in a blender until completely smooth. Next, divide the mixture evenly into shot glasses or small cups. Insert the ice pop sticks—using plastic wrap or aluminum foil to hold them in place—and freeze until firm—about four hours. To remove the popsicles from their glasses, run each glass under warm water until the popsicle can be smoothly slid out of the cup. 

Watermelon, Lime, Ginger Ice Pops:

Time: 15 Minutes, Serves: 8

INGREDIENTS

1 small seedless watermelon, chopped (about 5 cups)

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

1 pinch fine salt

DIRECTIONS

Begin by pureeing the watermelon, lime juice, ginger, sugar and salt in a blender until totally smooth. Then divide the mixture evenly into a cupcake or muffin tray, filling 10 compartments. Insert ice pop sticks into each compartment—using plastic wrap or aluminum foil to hold the sticks in place—and freeze for four hours or until firm. 

Peanut Butter Popsicle Loaf:

Time: 20 Minutes, Serves: 8

(This one may take a little longer than the rest, but it’s worth it!)

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ cups whole milk

3 tablespoons of white sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pinch of salt

¾ cups peanut butter

DIRECTIONS

Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until bubbles form at edges. Then, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the heated milk into the cornstarch mixture.  Whisk the mixture until all the liquid is completely incorporated and all the lumps are gone.

Next, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the remaining hot milk. Continue stirring for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Be careful not to boil the mixture. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and peanut butter.

Finally, pour the pudding pop recipe into a small bread pan, leaving room for the pudding mixture to expand. Cover the pan with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and stick a row of 10 evenly placed popsicle sticks in the foil. Freeze the mixture until firm—about four hours. Once frozen, uncover the tin and run warm water along the edges to loosen the popsicle loaf. Place on a cutting board and slice evenly in between each set of popsicle sticks for the perfect ice pop slices.  

Now go out and enjoy your homemade frozen treats!