5 Delicious Alternatives to Pasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

If you are anything like me, you have a daily craving for pasta. I’m an Italian food fanatic, and nothing can separate me from by carby creamy goodness that is fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti with meatballs or linguine carbonara (among many other types). I know in my heart that I cant sustain on an all pasta diet, but sometimes all that can keep me going through hours of homework and intense studying is indulging myself on piles of noodles. Cooking for myself this year can be difficult, especially now that I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle and look out for my food intake. Lucky for me, there are tons of delicious pasta alternatives that can often taste just as good while sneaking in a ton more nutrients to your diet! Here are five pasta alternatives that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.

1. Spaghetti Squash:

Spaghetti squash already has a type of pasta in its name so it was clearly destined to be a wonderful substitute to the carb filled dish. This pasta alternative is incredibly easy to cook and comes out tasting like buttery delicious noodles. Top it off with any sauce of your choice and it’s a great way to get in your veggies and keep the delicious flavor of your favorite foods.

2. Zucchini Noodles:

We have all heard of the zucchini noodle craze, your mother probably owns a veggie spiraler. The reason why this stuff got so popular? Because it actually lives up to they hype. Zucchini noodles take a matter of minutes to cut into pasta like spirals and then require no cooking, though tossing them into a pan with some olive oil certainly wouldn’t hurt. Treat them like regular pasta and enjoy a classic Italian staple.

3. Cauliflower Rice:

If you are looking for something a little more bite sized, grab a bag of cauliflower rice to spice up your classic recipes. Although, not technically a pasta, cauliflower rice is a great alternative that will get in your veggies of the day and still taste amazing. Adapting to the flavors of whatever sauce or spices you put on the dish, this is the perfect veggie to substitute in if you aren’t looking for any strong veggie flavors.

4. Black Bean Pasta:

Made entirely out of black beans and water, these noodles may look like regular pasta (besides their color), but they are certainly very different. Not only are they now gluten free, but these noodles are packed with protein, fiber and iron. They taste similar to wheat noodles and have a similar texture, but they definitely pack more nutrition for your body.

5. Eggplant Noodles:

Craving some lasagna? Nothing functions as well as long flat lasagna noodles like the tender creamy slices of eggplant. Almost like an eggplant parmesan without the frying, this dish certainly will leave your taste buds wanting more. Eggplant can be substituted for any type of noodle, not only lasagna, and they fit with almost all sauces as a great alternative to classic pasta.