3 “Complicated” Desserts to Cook During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s almost Spring Break, and for some people that might mean beaches, sun tans, and warm weather. However, for those of you who might not come from the sunniest states, you might be spending more time indoors. Well, no worries! Being inside during spring break does not mean a lack of good times. Instead, follow these easy how-to tutorials to make some of the complicated recipes you have always wanted to try…

1. Creme Brulee 

Having an ample amount of time in the kitchen means a time to experiemnt with making Creme Brulee. These step-by-step instructions explain how to make this classic French dessert. Can you imagine the dropped jaws and wide eyes after you claim, “Yes, I can whip up a batch of creme brulee.” 

Ingredients: 8 Eggs, Sugar, Cream, Ramekins, Vanilla, Cooking Pan 

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees

2. Crack 8 yolks in a bowl

3. Beat yolks until smooth

4. Add 1/3 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and beat until smooth

5. Add 2 cups of cream until blended

6. Strain the mixture to get out any lumps

7. Put your ramekins on a pan that is filled halfway with warm water (this is called a water bath)

8. Fill custard about halfway to the top

9. Bake for about 35 minutes or until edges are set

10. Cool and chill! 

2. Chocolate Lava Cake

There is nothing more satisfying then breaking into a molten chocolate lava cake – especially if you have made it yourself. Heck, I’d rather see the yummy center of a lava cake than see Ryan Gosling’s abs. Anyways, your week off from school provides the perfect opportunity to make this piece of art. Even if you cook it too much, you still have cake! It’s a win-win.

Ingredients: Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate, Butter, Sugar, 2 Eggs, Flour, Salt

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2. Grease ramekins and coat inside with a dust of sugar

3.  Melt 4-ounces of chocolate chips in the microwave

4. Cream together 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar until it is paste-like

5. Add 2 eggs and beat until it starts to foam

6. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and a pinch of salt

7. Add 1/3 of chocolate and fold into batter, then slowly add the rest of the chocolate

8. Divided into 2 ramekins, cook 10 minutes or until edges are set!

3. Fresh Fruit Tart

Maybe you’ve recently been to the gym and want to pretend dessert doesn’t count – well this is the perfect recipe for you! Although making the crust and the filling might be easy, mastering the fruity decorations becomes the challenge. Play around with it, you have all spring break to make different designs! Try a tart with only strawberries and blueberries or maybe decorate another one with bananas and chocolate chips. The pie is your canvas. 

Ingredients: Flour, Salt, Shortening, Water, Cornstarch, Sugar, ANY FRUIT! 

Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees

2. Mix together 2 cups of flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt

3. Cut in 1 cup of shortening until it is lumpy

4. Stir in 1/2 cup of cold water until a dough starts to form

5. Knead and place in fridge

6. Stir 3 tablespoons of sugar with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and toss any fruit into this mixture

7. Roll out dough into a flat dinner plate circle, place the fruit in the middle, and fold excess dough over the top

8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes!