20 Songs Set to the Tune of *Autumn*

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I can’t think of anything I enjoy more than walking outside on a bright, cool fall morning in a thick sweater as crimson leaves descend around me. What better completes this tableau than music blasting through headphones, as though your life has its own soundtrack? I compiled a list of fall-themed songs below to add to your playlist this month if you, like me, want to cherish these autumn moments.

If you want to embody the main character of a 2000s movie, these next songs are for you. They’re punchy, upbeat, and don’t skimp on the guitar. I like to listen to these songs when I’m feeling ambitious – think of going for a morning walk, getting ready to go out, or taking a late-night drive with friends.

• “Pumpkin” by The Regrettes
  • “Ooh La La” by Faces
  • “All I Want Is to Be Your Girl” by Holly Miranda
  • “Then He Kissed Me” by The Crystals
  • “If It Makes You Happy” by Sheryl Crow
  • “Remember When” by Wallows (contributed by Zoe Alter)
  • “There She Goes” by The La’s (contributed by Samantha Powers)
  • “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer (contributed by Samantha Powers)

Fall is full of change. The leaves shift into orange shades, and you start re-familiarizing yourself with a school routine. Whenever I experience situational changes like these, I find myself reflecting on more overarching changes in my life. I wistfully look back on how fleeting certain moments are and feel the urge to slow down. If you also find yourself in an existential state every autumn, take a solo walk and listen to the following songs.

• “Patience” by The Lumineers
  • “Old Ties and Companions” by Watchhouse
  • “Vienna” by Billy Joel
  • “October Passed Me By” by girl in red
  • “Ribs” by Lorde
  • “View Between Villages” by Noah Kahan
  • “Apple Pie” by Lizzy McAlpine
  • “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” by The Righteous Brothers
  • “Sweet Heat Lightning” by Gregory Alan Isokov
  • “Willow” by Taylor Swift (contributed by Barbara Alexopoulos)
  • “Happy and Sad” by Kacey Musgraves (contributed by Maya Mukherjee)
  • “ur so pretty” by Wasia Project (contributed by Kayln Jackson)

Note: Some songs were provided by my fellow NU HerCampus members; they are labeled as such.

Ava Hoelscher

Northwestern '26

Ava is a sophomore at Northwestern University majoring in journalism and economics. She has been in ballet since age 7 and continues to dance in college. In addition to dancing, Ava loves baking, walking with friends, and doing yoga.