kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Grey’s Anatomy is So Iconic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In a moment of weakness (and procrastination) I turned on an episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” about a week ago and haven’t stopped watching since. I have seen the entirety of the show at least once and yet I always come back to bingeing old episodes, and I’m still excited for the new ones every Thursday. So after some pondering, here are some of the reasons why I think “Grey’s Anatomy” is so iconic.

1. The amazing Meredith Grey

Courtesy of Giphy

Meredith Grey is such an iconic character who is never afraid to get real with whomever she speaks to. Her ‘darkness’ is mentioned frequently in the show, and that makes her relatable to the audience since she is depicted as a real person with real emotion.

2. Meredith and Christina’s relationship

Courtesy of Giphy

Meredith and Christina are the most hardcore, ride or die friends, and are the epitome of friendship goals. Through all of the drama, Christina and Meredith were always there for one another and never let anyone, especially men, get in the way of that friendship.

3. Their iconic dance parties

Courtesy of Popsugar

Every once in a while, something really upsetting or discouraging would happen in the show that would call for one of the iconic Meredith/Christina dance parties that would turn the pair’s mood around within minutes. These were the moments that made “Grey’s Anatomy” so memorable; the show knew exactly when to lighten the mood with a dance.

4. The post-it note wedding

Courtesy of Zimbio

Meredith and Derek later got married for real in the show, but before that, they committed themselves to one another on a post-it note before heading into surgery. Can it get more romantic than that?

5. Mark and Lexi

Courtesy of Giphy

Mark and Lexi’s relationship wasn’t always steady, but Lexi’s awkward charm and Mark’s passion made for the most beautiful love story in the whole show. This scene solidified their ending together, which was equally amazing as it was heartbreaking.

6. When Jackson objected at April’s wedding

Courtesy of Giphy

After Jackson talked to Mark for the last time, Mark told him that if he loves someone to tell them. This led Jackson to shock us all when he stood up at April’s wedding confessing his love for her. She ended up choosing him in this heartfelt moment, even if they did end up breaking my heart and getting divorced.

7. The Callie/Mark/Arizona family

Courtesy of Hollywood Life

Mark and Callie’s friendship warmed hearts for many seasons, and then Callie and Arizona started dating and things got complicated. It ended up being the three of them raising baby Sophia together and being a wonderful non-conventional family.

8. Every single thing about Miranda Bailey

Courtesy of Giphy

Everything about Miranda Bailey is gold. She is such a badass while still able to embrace her vulnerability with a confidence I dream to achieve one day. Bailey is the heart of the show and it could not be alive without her.

9. The hot doctors

Courtesy of IMGFave

While the show has a lot of drama and many, many encounters with death, one of the best aspects of the show is the hot, hot, HOT doctors. Here’s to you, Jackson Avery.

10. Alex Karev’s switch into Pediatric surgery

Courtesy of The Odyssey Online

Rough and heartless, Alex Karev was the bad boy on the show for many years, so it was nice to see his transition from the heartbreaker to the man who saves babies for a living along with Arizona, who is the human version of sunshine.

These moments, and every second of every episode, is why “Grey’s Anatomy” will always be the most iconic show forever.

Courtesy of Giphy