Truth: Cyber Monday Beats Out Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

People love sales, and Black Friday is proof that shoppers are willing to get down and dirty to save a few dollars. Although many shoppers (and even families) view it as tradition, Cyber Monday is a safer, less stressful day that will probably not end up looking like this:

Here’s why:

You get to be lazy in front of your laptop with coffee in hand.

When I think of Black Friday, this is what personally comes to mind: crowded stores, messy display tables, aggressive shoppers, and irritated workers. Cyber Monday provides the perfect opportunity to skip all of that, stay at home in your pajamas, and shop online while sipping on a peppermint mocha in hand. Now which option seems better? Exactly.

It’ll be faster and more convenient to compare prices.

Unlike Cyber Monday, Black Friday means that you’ll have to physically go from store to store at an incredibly fast pace. When you’re shopping online, you can have numerous tabs open to see all the online deals and pinpoint which will actually give you the best savings.

You won’t feel guilty spending the day after Thanksgiving shoving somebody for the last 15% medium-sized wool sweater.

Thanksgiving is meant to be a day spent with friends, family, and a ton of delicious food, but it’s more importantly about being grateful for all that you have. It’s a bit contradictory to spend the next day shoving people in stores for a few electronics that you think will make your life more fulfilling. Although Cyber Monday is also about shopping, you at least avoid the physical aggression and that, for me, makes it slightly better

If you’re planning on purchasing clothes, Cyber Monday is probably a better option to begin with.

Here’s a shocker: most clothing retailers don’t offer jaw-dropping Black Friday sales. I’ve worked in retail for four years and know firsthand the tactics retail stores use to make it seem like their sales are a hit but, in reality, are nothing extraordinary. Since many clothing stores have a large online presence, Cyber Monday has become a popular option for stores such as Amazon, Karmaloop, and eBay. Many online retailers will provide free shipping or a coupon code exclusive to online purchases

So this year, save the stress looking for a parking spot for half an hour and do your shopping online. To get ahead of the game, click here to get a list of Cyber Monday deals.

Kimberly Izar

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!