Studying?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Studying?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Tips for Landing Your First Co-op

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

No one really tells you what to expect during the co-op search process. Sure, there’s a required class you have to take the semester before, but I was more than surprised by so many things in the journey. While my co-op has been great so far, getting there wasn’t easy. So, if you’re struggling to find a co-op, here are some things I learned this semester:

Lack of Connections for the Arts

During orientation, the main idea Northeastern pushed onto their incoming freshman was that Northeastern had so many connections in regards to Co-op. Whatever you wanted to do, you can do it. Wherever you wanted to work, Northeastern can make that happen. What they didn’t say though was how hard it is to get a good Co-op as an arts student. I was so excited to log onto the NU Careers site and apply to as many jobs as I could…only to find two in my major. They were both unpaid and from unknown companies. When I brought this to my advisor, he said I would have to reach out to the companies that I wanted to work for on my own. So I did, but without Northeastern’s connection. In just some time, I was suddenly a sophomore with no work experience in my major applying to major companies. So heads up: if you’re an arts major, lower your expectations. You need to build your experience before you apply to major companies, but you can still have fun doing it. While the TV network I’m currently working for isn’t the most notable, I’m gaining hands-on experience that I can use to work my way up in the industry and that’s what’s most important. 

The Timeline Is Different for Everyone

I remember after the first month of school, my co-op teacher asked the class “How many of you have job offers?” Almost half the class raised their hands, and I was not one of them. Needless to say, I started freaking out! I had applied to so many jobs yet none of them gave me an interview. Because of this, I started applying to jobs that weren’t even in my major and ones I wasn’t even interested in just so I would get an interview. What my advisor didn’t tell me was that it was only October. Some people don’t get co-ops until the end of December (aka me!). You have time, so take the time to wait for the jobs you’re interested in. Which ties into my next tip:

Don’t Settle for a Job You Don’t Care About

I wanted to work in television. I didn’t care what I was doing, but I knew I wanted to be in that industry, even if all I did was get people coffee. However, since I was freaking out one month into the process, I started to apply to any job I could find. I think I even applied to a social media job in San Francisco in desperation! I applied to marketing jobs, editing jobs, literally everything except television. I got interviews for all the jobs I didn’t want and eventually offers from them as well. By this time, it was November and a small part of me thought: if I haven’t gotten a job in television by now, I probably won’t ever get one. But the other part of me thought: do I really want to waste a whole semester doing something I don’t care about? With this mindset, I turned them all down. Pro tip for all of you: new jobs are posted every day! Eventually, a job description for a Television Production Assistant was posted, and that’s the one I ended up getting and loving! All good things take time, so don’t sell yourself short just to make sure you have a job.

You’ll Learn Something Wherever You Work

Even if you don’t get your dream job, you can make the most out of where you end up. Any experience is helpful when applying for future jobs and a co-op can provide you with that. A job also teaches you time management, responsibility, and how to thrive in a professional setting. You have to build a relationship with your bosses, prove that you’re reliable, and show them how hard you’re willing to work. Aside from getting recommendations, it’s good to be in any professional setting where you can build your communication skills and develop your work ethic. You have the opportunity to put in the most effort, and I highly recommend that you take advantage of whatever your job offers. For example, next week I start my own radio show! Granted, this was optional, but I intend to take full advantage of the opportunity!

It’s Not the End of the World

Even if you don’t receive a co-op, it’s not the end of the world. You have next semester, the semester after that, and every semester until you graduate! You have time, so you might as well fill that time doing what you want to do. You can get a summer internship or part-time job to get some more experience and try again next year. Being an adult is hard! You’re supposed to get a job to get experience, but also have experience to get a job. No one will judge you for doing your best. So take a deep breath, work hard, and know everything will be okay.

I hope this calms your nerves a little. I’m only on my thirdweek of co-op, and I’m already loving my job. Even though it’s not my dream job and the company is relatively unknown, I’m working in the industry I want to be in. What I’ve out of this co-op is I definitely want to work in television, and I have gained the experience I need to do just that.

Katya Awar

Northeastern '22

I'm a Senior at Northeastern University majoring in Media and Screen Studies and minoring in English and Musical Theater. I hope to be a screenwriter one day!
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.