Six Tips for Increasing Productivity During Online School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Let’s face it — it was difficult to power through the spring semester with the abrupt switch to online classes. Even though it’s fall, many classes are still online. Not only is online school a completely new method of learning, but it can also be a contributor to serial procrastination. Zoom University definitely took a toll on my productivity, and I know I’m not alone. That is why I wanted to share a few tips that have recently helped me get out of my slump and back into grind mode. 

Stick to a Schedule

This is probably one of the most important things that have helped me and many people I know stop being lazy. Use sticky notes, Google Calendar or anything that will help you visualize and plan out your day. Try and schedule certain times where you will work on specific tasks to ensure that you have accounted for all work that needs to be done. But also set aside time to take care of yourself and your well being. Most importantly, make sure you can consistently stick to the schedule. Below is a part of one of my daily schedules: 

7:00 AM — Wake up

7:15 AM — Finish morning face routine 

8:00 AM — Complete light stretches / eat breakfast 

8-9:05 AM — Attend Class #1

9:15-10:20 AM — Attend Class #2

10:20-10:35 AM — Snack (a handful of nuts or piece of fruit)

10:35-11:35 AM — Finish homework 

Set Realistic Goals for Yourself

Take a few minutes and write down two daily and weekly goals you have for yourself. It can be personal or work-related, but writing them down will keep you on track and remind you about what needs to get done. If writing them down doesn’t work for you, try asking a trusted friend or parent to help hold you accountable. After each day and week, reflect on whether you were able to reach your goal and reward yourself! If you didn’t, don’t worry. Try simplifying your goals and making them more manageable to accomplish. And remember, it can be about anything! You got this! 

Take Breaks!

This might sound counterintuitive, but taking breaks in the middle of studying or working has some serious benefits. Not only does it help with retaining information, but it helps your brain and body recharge so that you can work efficiently when you get back to hitting those books.  I like to think of our bodies as computers; if we use our computers nonstop for several hours, they tend to overheat. Similarly, our brains and bodies can’t work for long periods of time without us getting mentally and physically drained. In the past, I found myself sitting for hours trying to study for a test, but my level of retention decreased the longer I sat in front of my books. I then found myself rereading chapters because my mind wasn’t able to process the information the first time. However, I learned to take five to 15-minute breaks after every hour of work I did. This helped me feel more energized when I went back to my workspace. Below are a few things I do during my breaks:

– Eat a piece of fruit 

– Walk outside 

– Talk to my roommate 

– Take a shower 

– Watch a Youtube video

– Scroll through Instagram

Stop Saying “Later”

It’s so easy to postpone assignments, but next thing you know, you have 12 assignments, two tests, and three projects due all around the same time, which can result in feeling overwhelmed and stressed. The good news is that you can avoid these feelings! Instead of pushing the assignments aside, try and tackle them in small increments so that you’re not swamped with work at the end. For instance, it’s okay if you don’t completely finish long-term tasks, such as group project work, until closer to the due date. But instead of waiting until the last minute, you can plan accordingly and finish smaller portions of the work well before the deadline. 

Avoid Distractions

It’s so easy to get off track with your work when you are surrounded by distractions. The first step is to find out what distracts you and what ways you can avoid being distracted when working. I personally lose focus when I receive text messages on my phone. To avoid that, I started putting my phone on silent so that my thoughts would not be interrupted. Below are some other common distractions and possible solutions:

Distractions                                                               Solutions

Spending too much time on your phone                        Put time Limits on certain apps

Noisy environment                                                          Invest in some noise cancelling headphones

Try finding a quieter workspace

Tidy Up Your Workspace

In the past, I didn’t pay too much attention to my work environment. Textbooks were open here and there and coffee mugs lined my desk. I never thought that physical workspace could play such a key factor in how productive I was, but it does. I realized it felt like my mind was unnecessarily cluttered.  As soon as I cleared my space up, my mind was more relaxed, and that I could better focus on what I was doing. I also noticed that I was able to complete my assignments more efficiently with my cleaner work area. Just because your workspace is clean does not mean it can’t have some flair to it! Make this space an area that you will enjoy sitting at. For instance, I added some of my paintings, photos of my friends and I, as well as a cute dream catcher on the walls near my desk. It doesn’t have to be much, but make it a place where you will be happy to work at!

Pooja Nandhyala

Northeastern '23

Pooja is a second-year student at Northeastern University pursuing a combined degree in Economics and Business Administration with a Finance concentration. Outside of school, you can catch Pooja hanging out with her friends, listening to KPOP music, and trying out different cuisines
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.