This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Navigating the ebb and flow of people in our lives is a formidable challenge. The weight in my chest is tangible and intangible; a heaviness that seems to defy gravity, pulling at my insides even in moments of supposed respite. It is a silent companion to my waking hours, a constant reminder of a void that has become an unwelcome guest in the sanctuary of my own emotions.

The contradiction is stark. I recognize my value and understand that I merit more than the remnants of a fractured connection. This acknowledgment is grounded in reason, a confident assurance that contradicts the emotional chaos I am currently experiencing. I am wrestling with the realization that my heart should not settle for the fragments of a promise that has crumbled, but the pain lingers nonetheless.

Being hurt does not always align with logic. I have come to understand that the heart operates on a different wavelength, clinging to fragments of affection, memories and what-ifs. It’s the perplexing dance of knowing I deserve more while still mourning what once seemed like a significant part of my life. The juxtaposition is confusing, like trying to reconcile two conflicting narratives playing out in the same space.

Heartbreak is a complex beast. It’s not just about the pain of loss but the mourning of the potential you thought was there. The weight in my chest is a testament to the unfulfilled wants, the shattered expectations and the emotional investment that didn’t yield the returns I yearned for.

Looking back at my relationships, I see a trend of giving more than I ever received. My yearning goes beyond the individual; it is a nostalgia for the version of myself I was in those relationships. The harsh truth is I invested so deeply, giving up parts of myself for someone else. Losing someone is not just about losing them; it is losing the version of myself that thrived in that connection. Now, I am making a promise to myself — no more sacrificing who I am or my time for the sake of companionship.

The most challenging part is grieving. Whether outgrowing a friendship or ending a relationship, the mourning is tangible. I’m mourning for someone who is still alive. The person you’re grieving may live down the street or even be your roommate, yet it is always a tumultuous ride. I am acknowledging that healing takes time and realizing it is as much about rediscovering myself as it is about letting go.

Amid this emotional whirlwind, I have stumbled upon the idea that these comings and goings are all part of a larger story. As the seasons change externally and internally, I am starting to entertain the notion that maybe, just maybe, everything does happen for a reason.

The void left by departed connections is more than an empty space; it is an opportunity to rediscover who I am beyond those relationships. Stepping away from this connection has been crucial as hard as it has been to accept that. It has given me a clearer understanding of my worth and what I desire in future connections. I settled for mere scraps in the past, but now, I aspire to experience a love where I receive 100% from someone.

In this intricate dance of connections and disconnections, I’m finding solace in believing that every person who enters or exits my life has a purpose. Perhaps those who left were meant to teach me crucial lessons about boundaries, self-worth and staying true to myself. As I continue this journey, I am growing into a stronger, more resilient individual, armed with the understanding that every twist and turn contributes to the person I am becoming.

Isabella Heilbronn

Northeastern '25

Isabella is a third-year student majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing. She uses Her Campus as her space to share life stories, personal experiences, and create relatable, diary-like articles. She's passionate about connecting with other women through her writing.