This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I think we’re all familiar with the fact that social media can be a toxic place. I admit I spend a large amount of time on it. But lucky for you (& me), that means I’ve found a lot of really cool people. In my opinion, this is “THE list of influencers” to follow that won’t make you feel like crap. 

1. Victoria Garrick Browne

The. Most. Real. Ever. Since I found Vic’s page in 2019, she has been my absolute favorite content creator. Vic’s main platforms are Tiktok (@victoriabrowne) and Instagram (@victoriabrowne). Vic is known for her #realposts using no filters, no photoshop and no editing whatsoever. 

To give a little background on who she really is, Vic was a Division 1 college volleyball player at USC and struggled with anxiety, depression and binge-eating disorder. She now uses her platform to show healthy habits, mindfulness and what a balanced life looks like. She has helped me tremendously with my eating habits and being confident in my natural body. 

Vic is the creator and host of the Real-Pod podcast. Not to mention, she also creates hilarious content with some of her best friends including @corporatenatalie and her husband, Max Browne. Oh, and she’s also a huge Swiftie. 

1. Haley Hoffman Smith

An underrated influencer to say the least. Haley is a Brown University graduate, author, TedTalk speaker, entrepreneur and content creator. She hosts the podcast: “Big Conversations with Haley Hoffman Smith” but is mainly known on Instagram (@haleyhoffmansmith). 

She is known for her tips and tricks on manifestation and her connection with spirituality and the universe. Haley is the CEO of trusting the universe and the timing of her life. She inspires me to do the same. 

Haley lives in New York City. She always documents the ways she’s updating the interior of her exquisite window-to-floor apartment as well as the coffees she gets and shares all the tips and tricks for creating the life that you want. Also, Haley usually answers her DMs, so I LOVE getting to have a personal connection with her. 

1. Whitney Simmons

Workout girls. Wya?? Sprint to Whit’s Instagram page (@whitneyysimmons). Just from following Whit, I am confident that she is the most caring and compassionate soul. She physically glows. 

Whitney has a clothing line with Gymshark, her own workout app (@thealiveapp), and is mostly known for demonstrating her workouts on social media. When I first began my fitness journey back in 2017, I used SO many of Whitney’s workouts, and they allowed me to feel educated and confident in the gym. I highly suggest using her as a tool if you’re new to fitness or just want to see some stylish gym fits. 

1. Gretchen Geraghty

The purest soul on social media. Gretchen is known for her Youtube and Instagram (@gretchengeraghty) platforms. Gretchen is a Boston University graduate and lived in Boston post-grad for several years. She now lives in Philadelphia with her boyfriend, Max Willman who is an NHL player. 

But Gretchen has the best outfits, food recommendations, and workout class ideas, and if you watch her vlogs on Youtube, many of them (if not MOST) are based in Boston. Boy, they give great inspo on how to stay busy in this pretty city and always find new spots. She was even a lil part of why I wanted to attend Northeastern because she made Boston college life look SO fun. 

1. Katelynn Nolan

Katelynn is known for her TikTok account (@katelynnnolan), Instagram (@foodieegirll & @katelynnnolann), and podcast. I must say, Katelynn’s podcast called “Not Your Typical” is my favorite podcast of all time. Straight to the point, serious topics and advice that ACTUALLY helps.

I love to turn this podcast on while strolling on Newbury, working in a cafe, or simply just walking to class. Her content is always extremely aesthetic, and she definitely knows how to engage people on social media through her feed. Katelynn always has fantastic meal and snack ideas and is simply–and powerfully–a bright light to follow. 

1. Katie Feeney

Katie is the most FUN creator. Katie is a second-year communications major at Penn State and is also a media and content creator for the Washington Commanders. Her main platform is her TikTok (@katiefeeneyy). 

I find it refreshing to follow an influencer who is also in the same year of college as me, and it makes the content that much more relatable. Not to mention, she and her boyfriend, Jack Hurley, a D1 baseball player at Virginia Tech, are a power couple. I said it. If you want lighthearted, goofy content that will automatically put a smile on your face, follow Katie. 

1. Anna Sitar

An original, fun, weird, beautiful and creative content creator. If you’re not following her, then what are you doing?? Anna is the queen of TikTok (@annaxsitar). Enough said. 

She now travels all over the world collabing with big-name brands. She is the CEO of reacting to Starbucks drinks and also just really dope tiktok transitions. Tbh, I think I’ve liked every single one of her videos. Anna’s videos are guaranteed to put me in a happy mood and inspire me to chase my dreams.

1. Spencer Barbosa

The influencer with THE most confidence I have ever met. She is an absolute girl boss known on Tiktok (@spencer.barbosa) for going against all of the body “norms.” 

If someone isn’t supporting you, Spencer would be the girl to always stick by your side and make you feel loved and appreciated. Weird, quirky, stylish, fashionable, creative and confident. I highly encourage all girls to follow Spencer. 

Don’t wait to follow these girls. Every single day, I feel encouraged, hopeful and powerful because of them. I believe that they all play a part (even if it’s small) in my daily life. Their content is limitless and these women are always finding new ways to inspire and create. If any of you eight creators that I mentioned ever see this, know how much you make a difference and how many young women, like myself, look up to you.

Xoxo, Michelle

Michelle Sylvester

Northeastern '25

Michelle Sylvester is a third year communications and media studies major minoring in psychology. She loves to do her work in coffee shops around Boston, create social media content, journal, watch sunsets, work out, and sing.