bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kick-a-thon with Kick It by Eliza!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Over the summer, I had the opportunity to attend an Kick-a-thon event to raise money for the Flying Kites, which is a foundation based in Kenya that provides education and homes to those who need it. Both the cause and the kickboxing class were amazing.

Eliza, the women behind the class, is originally from Leominster, Massachusetts. She graduated from UMass Amherst in 2013, where she started her unique class Kick It that blends kickboxing techniques with other cardio exercises. A dancer from a young age, this was a way to remain creative while sharing her new style of exercise with others. Kickboxing is one of the latest fitness crazes and Eliza’s fusion of dance and kickboxing on the fly appeals to all fitness fanatics across the spectrum, from beginners to expert trainers.

The class is high energy and music driven, creating a fun atmosphere while still requiring a lot of work to burn those calories. Eliza keep everyone moving with a mix of fast paced songs and boxing moves. As a “community feminist”, as she calls it, Eliza looks to empower all types of women (and men) to be the best that they can be and to prove how tough they are.

Photographer: Lucie Wicker

The whole event was orchestrated for the Flying Kites organization, which Eliza got involved with through a mutual friend. During her time at UMass, she studied abroad in South Africa and since then has looked for ways to stay involved. The organization acts as a school, home, and farm for children in Njabini, Kenya as well as a launchpad for young entrepreneurs to learn and build relationships with communities.

If you want to learn more about Eliza’s awesome kickboxing classes, which are taught in Chestnut Hill and at The Club by George Foreman III, check out her website here!

Hi. I am a sophmore studying business with a dual concentration in marketing and management, as well as a minor in sustainable business. Outside of school I have a passion for sports, especially football (Patriots) and hockey (Bruins). I also love to bake, snuggle with my puppy, read and hang out with my friends.
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: