This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Winter is finally here! Here’s how to have a happy and healthy morning before putting on your coat.

1. Wake up to a book

If you have some extra time, cozy up with your favorite blanket and a book before class. It’s a great way to ease your way into your morning rather than scrolling through your feed when you first get up. It doesn’t hurt to spend a few extra minutes in your warm bed while still feeling productive.

2. Turn on a diffuser

Essential oil diffusers have had a dramatic bout of popularity recently, and with their versatile benefits, winter is the perfect time to try one out. Scents like cinnamon and clove are great for preventing illnesses during cold and flu seasons, while citrus is great to give you an energy boost first thing in the morning.

3. Keep your skin happy

As you’re going about your daily routine, be sure to grab that lotion and protect your skin! With increasingly harsh weather, it’s more important than ever to make sure your skin is moisturized. Try to go for one infused with oil to keep your skin soft and supple throughout the day.

4. Have a warm breakfast

You can make a great breakfast bowl with oatmeal or a grain of your choice topped with chia, banana, and whatever other toppings you can think of in the comfort of your dorm. It’s a healthy and warm way to start your morning. Breakfast is, of course, the most important meal of the day.

5. Check the weather

As we get deeper into the winter months, the weather seems to vary between cold, very cold, and absolutely freezing. Be sure to double-check the weather to make sure you have the right number of layers before heading out.

Nia Beckett

Northeastern '22

Nia is a second-year journalism major with a global fashion studies minor at Northeastern University. She loves Carrie Bradshaw, YouTube, and chai tea lattes. Follow her on Instagram @niashalise_.