This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

There has probably been some point in your life when you were not too happy about your skin. You might have had some pimples, blemishes or leftover acne scars on your face, leaving you to wonder if your skin could ever look like it once was. Whatever the case may be, you are not alone— millions of people have faced the same problem. While I don’t call myself an expert in skincare, I have dealt with acne in the past and wanted to share with you some tips and tricks I found helpful to clear up my face.   

Diet and Hydration

You probably heard of the saying “you are what you eat,” and this applies to your skin as well. What your body consumes plays a vital role on not only how you look and feel, but also on how your skin looks. Constantly eating very greasy or sugary foods can cause your skin to break out. Instead, fill up your stomach with ample amounts of fruits, leafy greens, fatty fish and lean proteins. These foods contain antioxidants and nutrients that will keep your face clear. You don’t have to eat healthy all the time, either. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with indulging yourself with your favorite meals and treats, but just make sure it is in moderation and that you are still giving your body the proper nutrients it needs. 

Drinking an adequate amount of water is essential for soft and smooth skin. Try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water. For instance, a 200 pound person should aim to drink at least 100 oz of water daily. While it may be difficult to do everyday, I set goals for myself on what I eat and drink to ensure that I take care of my skin. I drink about a gallon of water a day and eat two-three different fruits and some fresh vegetables daily. 

Don’t pick on your skin

To be honest, this was one of my worst habits and probably the hardest thing for me to give up. I used to poke and prod on forming pimples because it caught my attention every time I looked in the mirror. But that resulted in numerous acne scars all over my face that took months to years to fade out. It’s best to avoid touching your face altogether because your hands likely have bacteria on them; touching your face with your hands spreads bacteria all over your face, which can leave you waking up to new pimples in the morning. While it may be tempting to touch your acne, remember that this can just lead to the prolongation of it. Avoid touching your face, but if that’s not possible, make sure that you have at least properly washed your hands!

Wash your face twice a day 

I think one of the most important tips that has helped me reduce my acne is washing my face twice a day for 60 seconds each. It may be simple, but it is very effective. Washing your face twice a day helps get rid of all the dirt and bacteria that was formed on your face. I used to purchase cleansers with beads in it, but I later realized that the beads were irritating my skin. Instead, I found gentle cleansers that contained benzoyl peroxide, an ingredient popularly known for reducing bacteria and treating acne. Make sure to also pat your face dry with a soft, clean towel after washing your face; rubbing your face on rough towels can cause skin irritation and breakouts.

Go to a derm and get necessary treatments 

Sometimes it’s best to get an expert to help out. I suggest that you visit the dermatologist and get your skin checked by a medical professional if you realize that your skin isn’t healing after a few months. Dermatologists can recommend certain treatments and procedures based on your skin type and texture. I, personally, chose a topical treatment and was recommended to try different cleansers and moisturizers for my skin.

Ladies, let’s face it. Sometimes we see pimples forming around our time of the month, and that’s completely normal. 

Some other common skin-care reminders: – Remember to wipe off all makeup – Manage your stress levels – find something that you enjoy doing during your breaks (ex: painting, listening to music, running) – Get 7-8 hours of sleep daily – Remember to moisturize your skin

Pooja Nandhyala

Northeastern '23

Pooja is a second-year student at Northeastern University pursuing a combined degree in Economics and Business Administration with a Finance concentration. Outside of school, you can catch Pooja hanging out with her friends, listening to KPOP music, and trying out different cuisines