This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

There is no worse time for your skin than winter. From the flakiness to the dullness and everything else in between, your skin can make you want to hibernate in your dorm all winter. Luckily, having dealt with this type of skin during every season of my life, I’ve learned some ways to combat the winter skin blues.

Buy a Moisturizer for Your Skin Type

Not every moisturizer is going to work the same on everyone, so it’s important to do research on what type will work for you. For example, I have dry skin so when I’m buying a moisturizer I usually look for a heavier moisturizer. However, if your skin is oily, you don’t need one as strong. Also if you have sensitive skin, make sure to get a hypoallergenic moisturizer or irritation can occur. My favorite moisturizer is the Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer ($68): it has a big price tag, but it’s worth it! Another cheaper option is Cetaphil Face Moisturizer which is also super good if you are on a budget.

Don’t Over-Cleanse!

Cleansing your skin at night is vital to maintaining healthy, glowing, skin. However, contrary to popular belief, cleansing your skin in the morning can strip your pores of natural oils they need and cause excess dryness and breakouts. Especially during the winter, it is better to use less harsh cleansers because your skin is already dry from the weather. I recommend the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser because not only is it a great cleanser for the winter, it is also super budget-friendly!

Buy Winter-Resistant Makeup!

We have all had the issue where your foundation clings onto every dry spot on your face. It’s easy to fully blame this on your dry, winter skin, but, despite this assumption, the type of foundation you use also plays a major role. Many foundations are geared towards dry skin and, in the winter when your skin is especially dry, it may be beneficial to get one. My favorite dry skin foundation is the Fenty Pro Filtr Hydrating Foundation (NOT the matte one! It’s one of the worst foundations you can buy for dry skin.)

Use a Humidifier

Although humidifiers are usually thought of to help a cold, they have other purposes too! Humidifiers help to keep your skin hydrated by replacing the moisture that was lost throughout the day in the dry, cold air. When this layer is hydrated, it blocks water loss, thus keeping your skin soft and dewy.

Using these tips can help make your skin super fresh during the winter…and count down the days until summer!