IMG 2956JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 2956JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

How to Be Thankful During a Hard Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

There is no denying that 2020 has been an extremely challenging year for everyone. There has been a global pandemic, political unrest, wildfires, and just about everything in between. With the loss of so many peoples’ lives and jobs, and college life essentially being canceled, it’s hard to think of things to be thankful for this year. 

So how do we find gratitude right now? Start appreciating the little things. If you’re reading this right now, I am thankful that you have survived so much turmoil this year and I hope you are too! Think about the people that bring you joy in your life (even virtually) and be thankful that they are still in your life. Think about the little things that have gone right this year: maybe you got a leadership position you had been working hard for, maybe you joined an organization you really like, maybe you made a new friend or rekindled an old relationship. 

two women sitting on a car
Photo by Elijah O'Donnell from Pexels

Now, more than ever, it is pertinent to take time to care for yourself and protect your state of mind. I think gratitude can sometimes help ground us when it seems like the world around us is falling apart. Try being more present and thinking about what you appreciated even during the day. For example, maybe you had a really great take-out meal or you finished an assignment earlier than expected. 

Give yourself some grace during this period of time. There are A LOT of things that are not going right at the moment. Do not be hard on yourself or punish yourself for not crushing everything like you usually do. By taking some time to slow down, take care of yourself, and reflect on the few good moments that you have had, I hope you can find a few things to be thankful for during this very trying year.  

Rania Kalaaji

Northeastern '22

I am a current third year at Northeastern University studying marketing and supply chain management. I enjoy listening to music, watching sports, and exploring Boston. A fun fact about me is I am originally from Minnesota!