bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

February is American Heart Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

How much of a coincidence is it that American Heart Month coincides with the month where Cupid is spreading love like this season’s flu epidemic?

Courtesy of gfycat

Did you know that cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States? Here are some things that you can do to help prevent it:

1. Exercise regularly! Regular exercise is a great way to protect your heart against disease. With regular exercise, your heart becomes stronger and more efficient. So do some cardio or pick up those weights!                                                                                                                         Courtesy of Mashable            

2. DO NOT SMOKE. This should be an obvious one, but smoking is really bad for your heart. Smoking causes an increased risk for a heart attack in addition to really messing with your blood pressure. Also experts really have no idea if vapes or e-cigs are harmful so put those down too.

3. Limit the junk food! Eating a diet rich in lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and whole grains can lower your risk for cardiovascular disease.                                                                                                               Courtesy of Greatist

4. Keep getting those ZZZs. Getting enough sleep is super important. If you keep pulling all nighters, your blood pressure could skyrocket and you could even be at a higher risk for diabetes or even obesity.                                                                                                               Courtesy of Giphy

Keep your hearts healthy this month and for the rest of your life!