A Collegiette’s Alternative Spring Break Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

While most of my classmates were spending spring break tanning on the beach, partying on a cruise ship, or worst-case scenario, working at co-op or stuck at home, I was doing something much different. I was building a stranger’s house.

I spent my spring break on an alternative spring break (ASB) trip to southern Texas, where I worked with an immigration rights group with 10 other Northeastern students. We spent our trip learning about issues facing people in the area, raising awareness about safety projects, and helping to build housing.  And, the best part was, we had a great time doing it. By going on this ASB trip I was able to try new things and meet people I may have not met otherwise.

My 21st birthday was one of the first days of the trip. The first – and pretty much only – rule of ASB is no drinking, so many of my friends thought I was crazy for wanting to spend my spring break “working” when I could have been drinking daiquiris on a beach somewhere. Instead, I spent my 21st being surprised by a cake and piñata from my new friends, and I couldn’t have been happier about my decision.

After going on the trip, I now spend my time trying to convince my friends to go on an alternative spring break trip next year. With trips focusing on issues to the environment, animal care, housing, education, and immigration rights, it’s easy to make a difference for an issue you care about. Alternative Spring Break gives students the opportunity to travel, meet new friends, and volunteer in a domestic or international community, and I think it’s the best way I could have spent my spring break.

Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!