5 Things To Do if You’re “Stuck” at Home This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

While it is almost impossible to believe in the midst of the recent snow flurries and cold air, spring break is here. Maybe it came a little too quickly and you failed to make extravagant travel plans in time, or maybe you’re a typical college student on a tight budget. The thought of returning back to our small hometowns, surrounded by parents and family that make us crazy with their habits and rules is enough to put a serious damper on a week off from school. Whatever the reason for your return to home, we all know it can be frustrating to watch our peers being whisked away to tropical islands with the goal of coming back sun-kissed. To avoid this frustration, jealousy, and potential insanity, here’s a list of 5 fun and cheap things you can do if you’re “stuck” at home this spring break.

1. Focus on your little hobbies
While kicking back in your hometown, take time to focus on your favorite activities that you wish you had more time for during the school year. Be as productive, or as lazy as you want, without feeling guilty. Whether it’s reading for pleasure, watching your favorite movies, playing sports, or taking pictures, find whatever it is that you may have lost touch with this semester in the midst of all the midterms.  

2. Relieve stress
Dedicate one of your days at home to take care of yourself physically and mentally before heading back to the books. Treat yourself to a spa day without even having to leave the house with a homemade face mask, some cucumbers, a towel, and relaxing music. Try pulling out your yoga mat and work on toning that perfect beach bod in time for summer, or simply use it to meditate and put your mind at ease. To get a little more active, try going for a run or light jog, proven to release endorphins and reduce stress.

3. Redo your bedroom
Now’s the perfect time to give that bedroom you thought was so stylish and cool in high school a more sophisticated makeover. Take down those posters of old movies and washed-up bands that you spent your angsty teenage years surrounded by, and invest in some more age appropriate decor. Try to pick a color theme, new comforter, better lighting, and trendy throw pillows. If you really want to go all out, take on the task of painting your walls. Who knows, maybe your room will come out awesome enough that you won’t mind coming home!

4. Learn a new hobby

Use this free time to teach yourself something you have always wanted to do, but have never found the time for. Buy a cookbook or pull out one of mom’s from the kitchen and teach yourself how to cook delicious meals and treats. Cooking is an impressive task, and one that is sure to make you feel accomplished and ready to tackle any recipe that comes your way for the next event. Not into cooking? Try learning to play an instrument! I have a guitar that’s been sitting in my room for 12 years now, but I’ve never gotten around to learning more than the basic chords. Learning an instrument can be a fun and rewarding task that is sure to keep you busily practicing.

5. Go somewhere new!
Even in a struggling economy, there are always new stores and restaurants opening up in everyone’s hometowns. Take advantage of this time to shop for the latest spring trends at the new stores you’ve heard about. Make a night of it and invite your friends to that new restaurant for dinner that your parents are constantly raving to you about, as if it was the most exciting thing your town has seen in years.

So don’t stress over being bored and stranded at home this break—happy relaxing!  

Jenna Decatur

Northeastern

Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!