harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways to Deal With Stress in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

No matter what year you’re in, college will be fun, exciting, scary, intimidating, hard, and stressful. Now a lot of students recognize that they are stressed, but they don’t always take the best steps to deal with how they feel. Here are a few ways to better manage your daily anxieties:

1. Make a “To Do” list

books
mvalentine
Have you ever woken up with that feeling of butterflies swarming in your stomach, thinking of all the things you have to do for the day? You know the deal, people ask to make plans and you list off the chores you need to do. It can be hard to find time to get your 30 minute work-out in, complete that extra credit assignment, attend your professor’s office hours, run little errands like getting groceries, etc. Suddenly, everything becomes overwhelming and you’re left with this unsettling feeling. Just the act of writing down what you have to do instead of constantly talking and thinking about it in your head will relieve some tension. So go grab that pen and list out what you have going on today, making your day more doable and less intimidating.

2. Exercise

Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Studies have shown that doing a little bit of physical activity daily releases endorphins, making you feel more positive. Running, lifting weights, or just stepping outside and taking a little walk to enjoy the fresh, crisp fall air are all proactive ways to help both your body and mind relax.

3. Focus on your priorities

Typing on laptop and cellphone
Photo by Christina of wocintechchat.com from UnSplash
Sometimes we know exactly what we have to do for the day. You might even have all your notebooks set out on your desk, perfectly aligned with your pens, pencils, and highlighters, yet you still can’t get yourself to actually start working. Constantly thinking about what you have to do instead of actually doing it will just leave you in an uncomfortable limbo. It’s important to focus on your priorities first, working through your chores, and only then relaxing by watching that new show on Netflix.

4. Breathe

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
When faced with an enormous amount of stress, you can feel like you can’t breathe. It’s like you’re struggling to catch a breath of air and each breath is harder than the last. It’s crucial to stop what you’re doing, and take a moment to practice your breathing. Focus on taking a deep breath in and then exhaling. Doing this simple motion a few times when stressed will let your heart rate calm to a more steady beat and allow you to feel more at peace. 

5. Take a break from caffeine 

The Lalatea Mugs High Socks Cozy Sweaters
Her Campus Media
If you know you’re heading into a stressful week and already feel jittery, the last thing you need is to feel more on edge. Try to find an alternative like non-caffeinated peppermint tea to help you feel calm and at ease.

Lauren Barbulescu is a junior at Northeastern University, currently majoring in political science and communication studies with a minor in journalism. Lauren is from Westchester, New York and loves to cook, write, and travel. After spending her first semester freshman year abroad in Sydney, Australia she is excited to explore and learn more about each new city she lives in.
Nia Beckett

Northeastern '22

Nia is a second-year journalism major with a global fashion studies minor at Northeastern University. She loves Carrie Bradshaw, YouTube, and chai tea lattes. Follow her on Instagram @niashalise_.