This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

After long months of lectures, tests, and deadlines we are in the homestretch. With finals around the corner becoming overwhelmed is almost inevitable; however, there are ways to battle the end of semester stress.

First things first, the best way to avoid last minute stress is to take time to be prepared. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean planning everything weeks in advance, thought if you do that  you’re amazing, it can mean something as simple as sitting down on the weekend and planning out the week. Just make a list of all the important test dates, work deadlines, and everything in between. Taking the time to do this ensures that nothing is forgotten and allows the opportunity to get ahead on some things. Another great way to do this would be to time block. Time blocking can be a great way to not only know when things are happening but to also set aside time to get things done. Though having everything written down in front of you can seem daunting, it is much better to have everything listed to begin tackling things rather than forgetting or remembering at the last minute.

The next way to get through the end of the semester is to take advantage of end of the semester activities. Some universities offer various events such as therapy dog sessions, late night breakfasts, and a plethora of other fun things that help ease tension in stressful times. In fact, in order to become certified or maintain certification, therapy dogs are required to make a number of visits. So, if your university does not offer therapy dog sessions reach out to a local organization or therapy dog owner and see if they’d like to come down. Take advantage of these fun events to balance out the stress.

The next and one of the most important ways to get through the end of the semester is self-care but in the less picturesque context. Self-care tends to conjure images of face masks, junk food, and binging the latest season of your favorite show; however, at the end of the semester, self-care means taking care of the essentials. When going about a normal day, remember to go through a quick checklist that consists of: meals, meds, and hygiene. Getting sleep can seem impossible at this time of the year but maintaining a healthy eating and hydration schedule can help provide energy despite the lack of sleep. School is hectic and during finals it can feel like it won’t slow down but the worst thing to do is panic after forgetting meds. During hectic schedules, set alarms or carry an extra does on you to alleviate that stress. Lastly, nothing relieve stress better than a nice warm shower and everyone around you will thank you. Remember hygiene and keep up on the basics. School is important, but health comes first so remember to take care of yourself and the rest will follow.

The end of the semester can be a stress filled nightmare, but there are steps you can take to help turn it into a dream. These are some small ways but find what works for you and go with it. At the end of it all just keep in mind one last thing: you’ve got this!

Picture: Pexels.com

Student at NMSU double majoring in Journalism and Government. 
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.