This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

The night is finally here! It’s Halloween and, despite it being in the middle of the week, I’m sure many of you reading this are thinking about still going out which is great! It’s important to let loose and have some fun, but what is even more important is making sure you’re staying safe while doing so. Here are some tips on how to have a safe night out. As always, before I begin I should state: I am nowhere near a professional. The tips in this article were gathered from various resources and contain opinions. This article is not encouraging or condoning the dangerous or illegal behavior, it is just attempting to provide tips on how to stay safe.

• Know who’s driving

If you plan on drinking, make sure you have a DD or money for an Uber/Lyft. If you’re an NMSU student that doesn’t want to pay to get home but you don’t have a ride give Crimson Cab a call. Crimson Cab is a free service to NMSU students that will pick you up anywhere and take you home. Just make sure to have your student ID on you. There’s no shame in having a good time, just make sure you’re doing it safely.

• Try to stay in groups

It can be a little cliché and hard to do sometimes, but try to stay in groups or at least with a few friends to avoid potentially dangerous and uncomfortable situations. If you do end up leaving the group for whatever reason, try and check in with friends or know where to meet up with them. 

• Be cautious with Drinks

As with any party, be careful when it comes to drinks. As the night goes on it can get a little difficult to keep track of things that seem menial at the moment, but just try or ask a sober friend to help you out at the very least. It really sucks, but nowadays, it’s better to be aware.

• The same goes for drugs.

Be super careful about what you put into your body. Try to find out where it’s coming from if at all possible to avoid the potentially laced product. If you plan on trying something new, make sure it is in a safe and trusted environment with sober individuals present to make sure everyone is okay. No one’s stopping you, but be responsible about what you plan on doing.

• Watch out for each other

Always have your friends (and strangers) backs when you go out No matter male or female, if you see something that doesn’t look right or witness something off, say something. Intervene. Do whatever it takes. Even if you misjudge a situation, a little embarrassment is far better than someone going through something worse because people turned a blind eye. The world is a scary place, and yes it sucks, but it is made a little less scary when we all take care of and watch out for each other.

• Have fun

It’s Halloween! It’s a night to dress up, let your hair down and just have a good time with friends. Don’t let yourself get too caught up in the what ifs just of what could happen. Focus on the now and just try to be mindful of these past tips. Also, these tips don’t just apply to Halloween, they really apply to any party or event you plan on going to. Have fun, be spooky, and stay safe!

Student at NMSU double majoring in Journalism and Government. 
Lover of God, Photography, fashion, and food.