I Wish Someone Had Told Me: Skiing For The First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

It was with nervous anticipation that I awaited the ski lift that would take me to the top of the mountain. The pulley system of suspended benches moved methodically, but it seemed to race towards me. Too soon, the bench was under my bum and I was swinging back and forth like a rocking chair, all the time praying I wouldn’t fall out. As soon as solid ground dropped far below me in a snow-covered Neverland, sheer terror began to set in.

Before I get too far ahead of myself, let’s backtrack. I should first tell you that I was invited to a group ski trip to Eagle’s Nest in Taos, New Mexico. I looked forward to this trip for weeks! Where I grew up, snow was a rare oddity. I spent nights on end imaging myself racing down the mountain, going this way and that like the pros on T.V. This trip was going to be awesome and the inner athlete just knew that I would soon become addicted to winter sports. Long story short, our group excursion somehow became an awkward date weekend with just two of us and I spent more time on my a** in the snow than I did speeding down the mountain. I still had a good time, but here are the things I wish someone would have told me about my first time skiing:

Wear Water Resistant Clothing

Ok, so this should be obvious, but I did not know that ski rentals did not include those cool looking ski pants. You can either buy the gear from shops at the resort or rent them from various shops in the town before the ski resort.

Sunglasses or Goggles

It’s bright up there y’all. Make sure you either have sunglasses or you buy some goggles. I would recommend the goggle because they stay on your head a little bit better.

Dress in Layers

Yes, it was 30 degrees when I went skiing. Yes, it was colder at the top. Yes, I got sunburned. And yes, I sweated like a convict on trial.

TAKE THE LESSON

I cannot emphasize this enough. The person I went with has been skiing since they were 6. They said they could teach me how to ski. Great! I thought I’d be shredding some gnarr in no time. WRONG! He took me to the top of the mountain and we were going to go down a beginner trail (the green one). I fell out of the ski lift. It took me an hour to go less than 100 yards from the top to the first flat point. I didn’t know how to stop. I didn’t know how to get up once I fell. Some very nice lady had to call the sled to come take me to the bottom; it was the most embarrassing (yet secretly fun) experience I have ever had in my life. Do yourself a favor and take the lesson.

Stay Hydrated

Surrounded by snow and the chill of the atmosphere, you may not remember to drink water. If you have to, set a reminder on your phone. There are water stations all around the mountain and most eateries at the resort are happy to give you a glass.

The Food is Expensive

This is sort of a, “No duh” moment, but I never realized how overpriced the food would be. It’s like going to the concessions at a college football game. But the difference is, you are STARVING from the workout of trying to keep your body from zipping off the side of the mountain. Plan accordingly, or pack your lunch.

Break for Lunch

The food will be expensive, but don’t let that thought deter you from eating a good lunch. You need to refuel; the mountains will still be there when you’re done.

Wear Long Socks

Unless you want gross blisters, investing in a pair of thick wool socks wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Have Fun

There will be 3 year olds who can ski better than you, but that’s okay! I spent more time on my butt than I did in the snow. I had several embarrassing falls and a few near accidents. However, I had the time of my life once I started to get the hang of it. I met some pretty cool people on random life rides up the bunny slope, and shared some disastrous experiences with friends I met during the lessons.

Skiing was a TON of fun, and I would definitely do it again. My biggest piece of advice is to live outside your comfort zone, and don’t beat yourself up for not following the image in your head of how it should be. Go get out and shred some gnarr!

Dallas is an Agricultural Education major and senior at NMSU. She has no idea what she's going to do with her life, but feels quite qualified to give you advice about yours. She loves margaritas and avacados. 
Camila is currently a freshman at New Mexico State University and will be the NMSU chapter's campus correspondent. She is working on a major in Finance and a minor in Journalism, is part of a sorority on campus, and also hosts weekly radio shows.