Life > Academics

Graduate School Applications Are Driving Me Crazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

It’s that dreaded part of being a college senior: graduate school applications.

I have always questioned whether I would go to graduate school because, honestly, I am sick of sitting in classrooms. I have been in school for almost 16 years, and I have the unique experience of not only going to a headstart program as a kid, but I was also in an early college program in High School (meaning getting a High School and Associates degree at the same time) so I am straight up tired of school. It’s been my whole life.

But at this point in our society, just having a Bachelor’s is starting to become not enough for employers. For past generations, they were capable of building money-making careers out of an Associates’. But lucky for Gen-Z, we are stuck with having to go against one another hunger games style just to get a mediocre, ill-paying job after college.

So, here I am, looking into graduate school during my final semester of college. And it is driving me absolutely crazy.

First of all, who the heck invented application fees? Not only do I have to spend 50+ hours perfecting a single application essay, but I also have to pay up to $90 to send it in? The worst part is that schools can still reject you despite you sending in money for them to just look at your application. It’s money you can never get back, even if you are admitted. You still pay tuition, books, other fees, etc. And that money will overall end up accumulating, depending on how many schools you apply to.

Like me for example, I have 4 schools in mind. It’s about $270 or more just for me to send in those 4 applications to those schools. Doesn’t that sound ridiculous? And I am a broke college student, meaning I eat Ramen and Macaroni and Cheese at least 3 times a week because it’s all I can afford. How am I supposed to scrounge up loose change of up to $270?

A friend of mine has told me that if you email the school’s graduate admission office nicely they might be able to waive the application fee, of course depending on if you qualify. This means analyzing your income, your scholarships, etc., adding another step in the grueling process. But just because you ask to have the fee waived doesn’t mean it’ll happen, so you might end up paying it anyway despite fighting against it.

Not to mention the actual process itself. Not only do you need up to 3 letters of recommendation, you have to send different essays, your polished resume, your transcript, but also give them your future child. I’m obviously kidding on that last one, universities aren’t Rumplestiltskin. The University system isn’t that greedy and manipulative… right?

And thank goodness the schools and programs I am interested in don’t require GRE subject tests. I would definitely recommend looking at schools that don’t require them. Unless of course there is just one school you have fallen in love with, then I can imagine that the extra work might be worth it in your eyes.

And, overall, I am just terrified of leaving NMSU behind. It’s the school I have known for over 3 years, and the school my entire family has gotten their degree at. Of course, I am going to apply to graduate school here, but it’s not my first choice. So there’s a real possibility that I will be leaving the state and going to a brand new city all on my own. I’m afraid of losing my support system, and overall being lost in my attempts to forge a future for myself.

Graduate school is terrifying for so many different reasons. Not only are you stressing over the application process, but you’re really close to graduating. I have finals to start preparing for, and I have to buy my cap and gown, I need to get graduation pictures done, I need to send out graduation ceremony invites, etc. And I really don’t have the money for that and for those darn application fees. And you are sending in your personality and work to be judged, and I just know I will cry over any rejection letter I might get. It’s scary to imagine that I am going to move on from a campus I have known for years, worrying about if I might lose friends along the way.

Just know that you aren’t alone if you are also going through the graduate school application process. It’s difficult to imagine it now, but we owe it to ourselves to try our best despite all of these ridiculous circumstances being placed against us. I know that I am going to try my best, and while all we can do is hope that it’s enough, I’ll hold your hand and mine while we tough it out together.

I'm an English Major with an emphasis in Literature, Language & Culture, and I am minoring in Gender and Sexuality Studies. I tweet like i'm twitter famous, but my other interests include: books, cats, plants, Netflix, Disney and being active on my college campus.