This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Some are born with it, others it doesn’t come so easy. Self-confidence is something everyone has struggled with at one time or another. No matter who you are, self-confidence is something that matters. Confidence in yourself pushes you to do the things you love, surround yourself with people who show they care, and overall just make you appreciate life a little or a lot more. Here are the basic dos and don’ts of self-confidence. 

1. Don’t be afraid of your insecurities, accept them! 

When it comes to instilling self-confidence, it is important to be honest with yourself about what your insecurities are and realize some things cannot be changed. Even if it can be changed, it might not be the best choice to change it. Accept an insecurity and do not dwell on it. Instead of thinking about what you don’t love about yourself, spend your time thinking about what you do love. 

2. All you can do is do your best. 

If you are a college student or maybe just getting your two feet on the ground right out of college, you probably have a ton on your plate. In between everything you have to do for school or work, it may be hard to find time for things that you really enjoy. You may start to feel unmotivated to do the things you have to do and you may be tempted to stop putting the amount effort in at the beginning now that work feels repetitive. Remind your self that all you can do is your best. When you are confident you did your best, nothing should bring you down. Putting in hard work is something to be proud about! 

3. Do things that make you feel empowered! 

Whether it may be reading your favorite book or going on a hike to clear your head, doing things you love when you can, can seriously make all the difference. Doing what you love can remind you of what makes life worth living. If there is something you have been wanted to start or try for the first time this is the year to do it! It can feel so refreshing and empowering to finally do something that has been on your list of things to do. 

4. Don’t be afraid to try new things! 

Most people know and have heard that it is hard to grow and learn new things if you always stay in your comfort zone. For some people, it may be hard to speak up and state your opinion. Others may simply be staying in their comfort zone by ordering the same dish they always do at a restaurant. Next time there is a chance to speak in class or even at a club meeting, do it! When you think a new menu item at your favorite lunch place could be yummy, order it! Trying new things and doing something out of your comfort zine can be the first step toward something amazing. 

5. Surround yourself with positive people! 

One of the things that gives me the most confidence is talking to the people I love. I have a great group of friends who always build me up and make me feel better when I am down. It is so important to surround yourself with people that are positive and have similar goals as you do. Some of my closest friends are very ambitious hardworking journalism students like I am and I learn a lot from them about self-confidence just by how they act. Seeing them pursue their dreams encourages me to do the same. 

Angela is a graduate student at New Mexico State University majoring in communication studies. She is currently a contributing writer for NMSU's Her Campus chapter. When she is not writing, you can find her at home talking up a storm with her closest friends through Zoom.
International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!