woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

B’s Get Degrees: Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

I was going to title this blog post “B’s Get Degrees: Giving Up,” but then I realized that is essentially the same thing as finals.

In all honesty, it’s not technically finals week at my school yet, but there are two reasons I’m writing this post now. 1). For my degrees, finals week isn’t actually that crazy; it’s just presenting my final papers/projects. It’s the two weeks before finals that are a madhouse for me. 2). It’ll be finals week for all of you soon, and then you’ll feel my pain.

In my past years of school, finals week has always been dreadful. It meant losing all regard for everything that exists outside of your Canvas page and trying not to fail your classes or have a mental breakdown in the middle of the student union.

It looked like this:

“How’s finals week going?”

“Well I haven’t washed my hair in three days and I’m wearing the same outfit that I wore yesterday because I pulled an all nighter BUT I finished my research paper.”

But finals week for me this semester is completely different, and it’s solely because they are the last finals I will ever have to take. So this semester, I also might not have washed my hair in three days, or I might be wearing the same outfit as yesterday, but it wasn’t because I was studying. It was because I could really care less about school or my appearance right now, and I probably just slept in instead of getting ready.

I’ve skipped more classes this month than I have the past two years and now have no clue what’s going on in class. I have three papers due on Monday that I haven’t started, and I took an exam today that I actually didn’t study for.

But you know what, most of that doesn’t matter because as long as I make it out with at least a 3.5 GPA, then I will chalk it up as a success.

All you non-seniors out there don’t have this luxury. You don’t know what’s coming these next few semesters and you don’t have the excuse of senioritis, so you actually have to try.

We’ve all been there. You’ll get through it, kid. But until then, I’ve decided to publish some of my genius (in a loose sense of the word) advice that has gotten me through many “hell weeks.”

1.     Have Hot Cheetos and a Coca-Cola in your backpack at all times.

2.     Make the ultimate “pump up” playlist and listen to that thing 24/7.

3.     If not already, make sure your best friend is on speed dial. She/he may be the only thing to bring you off the mental breakdown ledge.

4.     Keep pajamas in your car. Seriously.

5.     Take that nap. It might seem counterproductive, but a 30-minute refresh will benefit you.

Best of luck, losers! I’ll be laying in my hammock…not doing my homework.

-B

Hi there! My name is Bethany, and I'm an avid writer and lover of travel. I'm a free spirit who was born and raised in Las Cruces, NM--the same city where I currently attend New Mexico State University. I will graduate from NMSU in May, and I'm looking forward to taking on the rest of my life.