bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

American Heart Month: Awareness That Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

It is the beginning of February. The weather is getting warmer (despite the Groundhog predicting 6 more weeks of winter) and most people are excited for the month of love. This month is filled with special events from Black History Month to Valentine’s Day. But, did you know February is also American Heart Month? American Heart Month is all about helping women and men live a happier and healthier life by being more aware of the causes and signs of heart disease.

The Beginning of American Heart Month:

The American Heart Association started the tradition of the American Heart Month with the support of President Lyndon Baines Johnson in 1964. Presidential support continued with former President Barack Obama declaring February as American Heart Month and every year of his presidency advocated bringing awareness to heart disease. The kickstarter of the month is National Wear Red Day.

National Wear Red Day and Go Red for Women Movement

On the first friday of February, women and men across the nation wear red to bring awareness to heart disease in women and the fight against it. This special day is called National Wear Red Day, which was started by The American Heart Association (AHA) and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, who have lead efforts in research, prevention and treatment of heart disease, providing knowledge-based solutions for people of all ages.

Did you know heart disease is the number 1 killer of women in the United States? Probably not. But you are not alone. Only 54% of women recognize that heart disease causes 1 in every 4 female deaths. For most women heart disease is more likely than cancer to be their cause of death.

In 2003 AHA made it a goal to bring more awareness to heart disease. Together they created the slogan “Go Red for Women” with a little red dress to go along with it.

Reasons to Support Heart Disease Awareness:

Being involved in a movement like this can help you and the people around you live a happier and healthier life! By advocating, fundraising and sharing friend’s experiences it can potentially help prevent someone else from dying from heart disease. 80% of deaths related to heart disease and stroke events may be prevented by lifestyle changes and education. You or someone you know may have heart disease or has the chance of getting heart disease.

Make a Statement: Wear Red!

Below are some ideas of outfits to wear throughout American Heart Month.

So now that you know what American Heart Month is all about, why not participate in the movement  by wearing red? One outfit idea could be wearing a simple red t-shirt or plaid red shirt with jeans or leggings to also stay comfy throughout the day while still showing your support. Another nice option is wearing a red lipstick or red nail polish to give a subtle touch of the Go Red movement.

Share your outfit and your support for the Go Red movement by posting #WearRedandGive and #GoRedForWomen on your social media!

Angela is a graduate student at New Mexico State University majoring in communication studies. She is currently a contributing writer for NMSU's Her Campus chapter. When she is not writing, you can find her at home talking up a storm with her closest friends through Zoom.
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.