This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a woman that I hold in high regard. Elected as U.S. Representative for New York’s 14th congressional district in 2019, she is a passionate and put-together leader that advocates for the rights of the people. I believe that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or AOC, is an excellent figurehead in our government, and I look up to her for many reasons.  

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the youngest woman in American history to be elected to congress. However, that isn’t the only thing that makes her a role model for women across the nation; it’s also the way that she acts, the way that she carries herself. I appreciate AOC because she doesn’t pretend to be proper or perfect. On the other hand, she doesn’t act out of spite or hatred, either. She simply stands her ground and fights for what she believes in, without buying into trying to save political face. I like her because I don’t feel as if she hides behind a mask; she speaks her mind, and her opinions feel real and true, which makes her trustworthy. I truly believe that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a woman that is on a mission to make the USA a better place. 

Another reason that I look up to AOC is because I find her to be very relatable. Most politicians are quite a bit older than I am; they were raised in a different generation, and therefore, they act differently from myself or the people that I surround myself with. Being so young, AOC does not come across this way. Her battles are the same as mine, the same as my friends’. She has attended public rallies, women’s marches, and even been a speaker for a women’s unity rally. She advocates for college students who are struggling to navigate the system, and for the working-class people who are struggling to pay the bills. She even plays video games—an unusual occurrence for a politician. In a way, it feels as if AOC represents my generation within the government. It makes me feel safer to know that she is a part of the decisions that affect my life. 

Furthermore, I appreciate the way that AOC handles herself when people try to come after her personal life. When people attack her, she handles it elegantly, which is something that I greatly respect from a person under that much pressure. In my own life, I sometimes struggle with conflict; like many others, I don’t know how to act when someone attacks my life or my beliefs. AOC has shown me how to be graceful and flexible, or how to spin the attack into a positive point. I believe she does an excellent job of parrying those blows that do not directly relate to her work.

All in all, I believe that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez represents the kind of people that we need to have in our government. I greatly respect the work that she does and the example that she sets for countless people across the US. I will continue to follow her and root for her upcoming career, and I hope that you will find yourself inspired by her, too. 

In memory and honor of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Avery Lee

NMSU '22

Computer Science as my major, writing as my hobby
An Art History major with a minor in Museum Conservation. Interested in Photography, Art History, Art Law and travel.