TV shows to watch on Netflix Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

It’s finally fall! That means you can freely wrap yourself in a blanket, make some hot chocolate and binge watch as long as you want. Here are some of my recommendations:

Mindhunter    My rating: 8.5/10

It’s a new crime drama and thriller produced by Netflix. It stars the phenomenal (and very handsome) Jonathan Groff as the main character – FBI agent, who, driven by his ambition, starts an unusual project. If you love stories about real serial killers, you are in for a treat. You’ll get to see convicted killers talk about their lives and most importantly, reflect on their crimes from their subjective perspectives. A very fascinating and chilling binge watch. All the more fascinating, since the story is based on real-life life events and the book “Mindhunter” by Mark Olshaker and Johna E. Douglas. 

Perfect, if you like: Hannibal; Buzzfeed Unsolved

Big Mouth   My rating: 8/10

Among the rising number of cartoons made specifically for adults, this one is so far the most relatable. It’s very funny in an original way because it allows you to laugh not only at the experiences of the characters but also your own, back when you were that age. Another big bonus lies in the amazing voice casting. You will probably hear one of your favorite stand up comedians or SNL stars on there.

Perfect, if you like: Rick and Morty; Beavis and Butthead

Oh Hello!     My rating: 10/10

The creators of Big Mouth: Nick Kroll and John Mulaney star in a hit Broadway show as two old New York men: Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland. A full recording of one night is available on Netflix, with the guest star and comedy legend Steve Martin! Kroll and Mulaney perform in a play, written by St. Geegland, one of the characters. It is minimalist and impressive at the same time. It points out flaws and makes fun of New Yorkers, the liberal-conservative conflict and also Broadway itself. It has been called the funniest show in existence by other comedy stars and guests on the show, such as Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel. For sure, the funniest show on Netflix right now. I can’t remember when I laughed that hard watching a show in my life.

Perfect, if you like: Kroll Show; Seinfeld

Glow    My rating: 7.5/10

It’s not necessarily a comedy, but a very moving show about a group of original female characters. Particularly, the main character, played by Alison Brie. She delivers an amazing performance as an ambitious but failed actress who turns into a professional wrestler. The series revolves around a fictionalization of the characters and gimmicks of the 1980s syndicated women’s professional wrestling circuit, the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (or GLOW) originally created by David McLane. Because this show is based on a true story, you can also find a full documentary of the original events on this platform. Netflix once again travels back in time to the 80s and does it with style. The background, scenography, and costumes look absolutely amazing. All with a soundtrack made from signature retro hits you probably know and love.

Perfect, if you like: Stranger Things; Girls