Must See Films in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Every year we anticipate the big releases in the cinema and 2018 is scheduled to be extremely exciting. In times of Netflix and Kodi boxes, we often neglect the cinema because it’s too easy to find films online but this year there are plenty of upcoming films that are exciting enough to get you out of your bed and into the cinema. We have done our research and found the five best releases this year:

1. The Greatest Showman 

Ok so it may have been released at the end of 2017 but this is a film that will define the musical scene for years to come. The true story of P.T Barnum, an American showman who started the circus, it is a heartwarming story of family and friendships that is matched with arguably one of the best original soundtracks ever. It has already won an award for the best song ‘This is Me’ and with an all-star cast including Zac Efron, Zendaya and Hugh Jackman it is a film you will want to watch again and again. 

2. Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again 

While we’re on the topic of musicals it would be impossible not to discuss one of the years most anticipated releases- Mamma Mia 2. It is already a hot topic of discussion as the trailer left everyone wondering what has happened to Meryl Streep (Donna) and where she has gone…? There is also the small talking point of CHER turning up as the high-class, sassy grandma in this rerun of the original. It isn’t set for release until July but I’m sure it will be a box office hit that was worth the long wait. 

3. Fifty Shades Freed 

February means one thing, the return of Mr Grey. This is the third and final film in the series and is set to include marriage, babies, stalkers and a shooting. While it isn’t of the same high quality as some of the films set to be released this year, it is the perfect escape for many this Valentines day and an excuse to get the girls together for a trip to the cinema! 

4. Mary Poppins Returns 

Disney has produced some of the best films over the past few years and has a lot of exciting films in production, but this year we finally see the release of Mary Poppins Returns. 54 years after the release of the original film, December will finally allow us to catch up with The Banks family. The all-star cast includes Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Julie Walters and Angela Lansbury meaning we are in certainly in for a classic Disney treat with an excellent cast. 

5. Insidious: The Last Key

However, not everyone loves the chic-flick or musical kind of film! For some, the thrill of a horror that makes you hid beneath your jacket in the cinema is far more entertaining. One of the most popular horror films of the past few years is the Insidious franchise and this month sees the release of the fourth installment, The Last Key. It’s the final chapter for Dr Elise Rainier and the story draws into the horror of her childhood so if you’re looking to be scared this year then Insidious is the horror for you. 

So no matter what kind of films you are into, this year is the year to grab your friends and head down to the cinema, get some popcorn and enjoy the glamour of the movies, whether that is a fancy musical, some good old-fashioned scares or a steamy romance. 

Laura Bolden is a student at Newcastle University where she is studying Journalism and Media. She is a self proclaimed TV addict and is never too far away from the television set. An aspiring journalist who loves writing about all aspects of life and believe in female empowerment through the media. You can follow her on Twitter @lauraboldenX and Instagram @laurabolden.