Replace Your Cup of Joe With These Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

In New York, coffee is essential; it’s a lifestyle. The sweet smell of brewed coffee awakens every nerve in my body and immediately makes me feel productive. For many students, and New York Residents, a cup of coffee is like a cup of fulfillment. However, sometimes, when I’m rushing to class or work, I don’t get the chance to have breakfast and my morning meal ends up being a lonely cup of a Joe. As you’ve probably been told more than a million times (thanks, mom), breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 

Refinery29’s Video Producer (and major coffee lover) Lucie B. Fink, challenged herself andby avoiding coffee for five days (watch how it turned out for her here!). I also have a friend who stopped drinking coffee and substituted it for power-workouts; there’s so many ways to increase your productivity without using coffee as your crutch. So, when you head off to work (or to class) try out these quick and easy foods/beverages that can help jumpstart your morning.

Green Juice:

You’ve heard this time and time again. The power of green foods are incredible; green foods completely boost your energy without making you feel full. Green juice is made with vegetables and/or fruits that are filled with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and antioxidants. According to time.com, a green juice can hold 20 percent of vitamin A, 36 percent of potassium, four grams of protein, and 12 grams of non-fa,t natural sugar.

Yogurt with Fresh Fruit:

The natural sugar in fruit alone will give you the energy youneed, but mixing it in with yogurt will please your taste buds. According to Eat This, Not That!, an eight ounce cup of yogurt, has a significant amount of potassium, riboflavin, zinc, phosphorous, iodine, vitamin B5, and vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is responsible for keeping the brain functioning and preserving the blood cells.

Avocado and Egg Toast:

Most breakfasts include eggs due to their high level of protein; egg whites are filled with different minerals, in addition to vitamin D, B6, and B12. By adding avocado to the toast, you’ll be consuming heart-healthy fatty acids (mostly oleic acid). Avacado is also rich with fiber and has been proven to lower cholesterol. After eating this simple breakfast, your body will feel rejuvenated and your mind will be ready to take on the world. 

Trail Mix with Chia Seeds, Almonds, and Cranberries:

Almonds are also high in protein and contain copper and manganese, which help to keep energy flowing in the body. Almonds also contain riboflavin, which supports the production of oxygen-based energy. Here is a fun and delicious recipe where you can mix in almonds into your morning, Healthy Trail Mix.

See, it is possible! I’m not saying you should give up coffee forever. Truth be told, I can’t even do that, but it’s important to ingest healthy foods in the morning. It’s tough to constantly catch up with New York’s rapid pace and most people feel that coffee helps with that issue.

If you’re running late, don’t forget to put your body and heath first, otherwise you’ll eventually tire and won’t be able to function probably. After all, eating the right foods is the gateway to success and the fountain of youth (food and exercise, that is). 

Hello there, my name is Caroline Dilone, I was born and bred in NYC and am a graduate of The New School where I majored in Journalism + Design. I have a passion for storytelling, travel, art, and coffee shops. As a former Her Campus New School Writer, I am so excited to return as an After College Feature Writer.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com