This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Ways I’ve been coping with a complete change in my routine, as someone with anxiety very rooted in change 

white flowered tree against vivid blue sky
Wara Nimprapuad via pexels

As someone who’s suffered from pretty severe anxiety, this whole lockdown situation has not exactly helped. As anyone with anxiety issues will know, it takes a hell of a long time to develop coping mechanisms, and for me, I’ve lost nearly all of them due to the lockdown. So, how’s it been? In short, its been pretty hard these past few weeks (to say the least), and I’ve struggled to find ways to battle my anxiety and panic attacks. However, on the days when it gets really bad, I’ve found a few little coping strategies that make it a bit easier when I’m feeling rough…

Photo by Freestocks from Unsplash

Escapism. Movies, books, and especially childhood faves are great for nostalgia and disappearing from reality for a while. Currently, I’ve been making the most of my Disney+ subscription 

craft table
Vladimir Proskurovskiy

Distract. Try and notice when your mood starts to dip and your mind goes to that dark cloudy place, do something active, make something. Check out Pinterest for baking or crafting ideas, just something to move your thoughts on.

The Walt Disney Company

Move! Get out in nature in the fresh air, try walking or running,  just to get your heart-rate going for a bit, you’ll be surprised how much endorphins can help when you’re feeling really low. 

coffee
Photo by Alex on Unsplash

Little home comforts. Hot drinks and fluffy blankets have been my go-to comforts recently, especially when I put my drinks in my Starbucks cup it almost feels like a normal morning…

Apps upclose on a phone
Pixabay / Pexels

GET OFF YOUR PHONE, TURN OFF THE NEWS. Avoid listening to the news and media all day. A couple of hours off of your phone and with the radio turned off can be great for releasing the tension and overwhelmed anxiety often associated with the current situation.

sign with positive messageand eyeglass
Binti Malu / Pexels

Focus on the things you can control. This isn’t a situation that anyone knows how to deal with, it’s ok if you’re panicky all the time, it’s ok if you’re feeling lost and you’re not as put together as your friends all ‘seem’ to be in their insta stories. You can’t control what the government does, but you can choose to get dressed every day, make yourself something healthy to eat, and try and do at least one productive thing.

computer hands writing in journal on table
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Maintain a routine as best as you can. Recently, I’ve been focusing on adapting my new normal, to resemble my old comfortable normal. I found a lot of comfort in my old routine, and I’ve tried to mimic parts of my old schedule in my current one (like getting up early and using my daily planner to plan my day), which has definitely helped me feel more productive and comforted by the familiarity

Be kind to yourself. Be kind to others. Stay safe, you are gonna be okay :)

Hiya! My name is Zara (like the store) and I am a student, writer, and designer from the South of England, although I’m currently living in New York City where I’m attending Parsons School of Design for Fashion Design! I'm a big fan of coffee and you can normally find me studying (mostly coffee shops) and listening to podcasts! When I’m not grinding on school work I love trying out new sports, fueling my love of theatre and traveling!
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com