Wade-Lewis Poetry Slam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Jared Singer performing at the 7th annual Wade-Lewis Poetry Slam. Singer is an award winning Slam Poet who has been the inspiration, mentor, and friend for so many people across the country. He inspires our youth to embrace their inner selves and child while creating beautiful poetry. This poetry slam was conducted in loving memory of the late Dr. Wade-Lewis, who was an advocate for students and spoken word artists at SUNY New Paltz. She was also the head of the Black Studies department. 

Three teams performed this year: SUNY New Paltz, SUNY Binghamton, and SUNY Oneonta. It was a beautiful performance with raw emotion of topics ranging from suicide, sexual assault, racism, and so on. All from talented young artists.

If you are interested in joining the SUNY New Paltz team here’s a link to their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SUNY-New-Paltz-Slam-Team-256186735362/?fref=ts

My name is Louise Puma but most people call me Weizee. I am a senior at SUNY New Paltz with a Public Relations major and a minor in Women's Studies. I am passionate about women's rights and raising awareness about societal issues. I love to meet new people and learn more about the world through their experiences. I love to try new food places. I drink coffee like its a hobby. I love to work out and explore nature. Writing has become my lifeline and has helped me develop who I am as a person.