This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Fashion is not what it used to be. I’m not referring to the different styles, like denim skirts, ponchos, Ugg Boots or gaucho pants (even though they seem to be making a comeback). I’m talking about the models– these famous fashion icons such as Twiggy, Janice Dickinson, Tyra Banks and Kate Moss who have continuously graced our magazine covers with their perfect bodies and flawless faces. These women have formed unrealistic body body expectations for girls all over the world.

But in recent years, we have seen a major shift in the runway. France just earlier this year joined Spain in a ban of “ultra-thin” models on the runway. Kudos for worrying about health and not just looks.

And before some of you stop reading this because you think I’m standing with the “zero is not a size” campaign, untangle your panties, and relax. I believe every size is a beautiful size. What’s not a beautiful size is an unhealthy one. France and Spain are not banning thin models, they are banning models who do not have a healthy height to weight ratio- in this case a body mass index under 18.

Now to get to my point of praise. Let’s all stand up and clap for Her Campus for putting on a fashion show full of real models for real girls. Watching people my age model clothes that I could see myself wearing actually wear got me thinking: why don’t more companies showcase people of all body types?

Yes, there are definitely people out there who work incredibly hard to get their chiseled abs and perfectly cut biceps, but there are also a number of people who need to wear Spanx when they go out to hide a little tummy or the curvaceous ladies who rock a size 14 and are as happy as can be.

Some people barely top five-foot-two in heels, while others who are six feet tall tower over them without caring about who they need to look down at to talk to.

The point is, there is more to body types than simply a waist size.

Marketing and advertising is all about reaching your demographic. What better way than to engage your demographic than make them the ones modeling the clothes.

Take a look at Aerie. They use models, but they don’t retouch their photos. Their company wants to prove that the way you naturally is beautiful. Not everyone has an hourglass shape or six pack abs. The closest thing I have to that is an alarm clock next to me with my six pack of beer.

Of course the Victoria Secret Angels look amazing, and who doesn’t admire their their bodies? We just need to be aware (especially after the most recent photoshop mishap)–that it might not be everyone’s reality.

I think it’s about time we add more body diversity to the runway. Keep the tall, thin models but also add in some variety. Afterall, everyone is beautiful to someone out there so why not showcase that beauty?

Hey there! This is Kathryn Geraghty coming at you from SUNY New Paltz! I am a senior studying journalism/public relations. Deciding to graduate a full semester early, I'm doing all I can to make these final moments in college last for what feels like a life-time. I enjoy hanging out with friends and watching the world go by from my porch. Being the "Chatty Kathy" I am, strangers are my favorite type of people. Having a conversation with someone you most likely will never see again has an enticing element to it. Once I graduate I hope to travel the country via train and write for those who want their voices heard. Feel free to message me with ideas or a good chat!