jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Time To Start Choosing You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Have you ever felt like you weren’t good enough? Have you ever felt like you didn’t belong?

Last spring, three students at SUNY New Paltz were all struggling to find their place on campus and discover their purpose. It has become so difficult for college students to feel comfortable with who they are, especially with society creating an image of who they should be. Once these students realized that they were not capable of conforming to these expectations, they knew something had to happen. It wasn’t an easy task figuring out a way to resolve this problem, but with time, an idea was formed.

The idea was to spread positivity to those who needed it.

Empowering messages were typed up, cut out, and taped on every door in their dorm building. They didn’t think much of it, until they saw what happened the next day. Many of the rooms had wrote messages back to these students saying their day had been made and they were thankful for these small acts of kindness.

These three students finally found their purpose: To spread as much positivity as possible.

This was the start of #ChooseYou, a club that aims to create a community where confidence is celebrated. This club is for anyone who needs a sense of belonging and reassurance that they’re not alone.

In college especially, people want a community where they can celebrate life and everything it has to offer– and #ChooseYou wants to be that place. This club hopes to bring people together through workshops that embrace uniqueness, and boost confidence and self-esteem.

As Mahatma Gandhi once said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” These students wanted things to change, and they made it happen.

Not only do these students plan on spreading the love on campus, they also want to expand this idea into a mentor program within the New Paltz community. They believe that sharing stories and talking to those who are struggling to find themselves can automatically change someone’s outlook on life.

The best part about this club is the atmosphere they’ve created. These students want to empower everyone to believe in themselves and all of their capabilities.

It only takes one act of kindness to start a movement, and these girls have done just that.

Post-its were placed around campus a few weeks ago with positive affirmations, reassuring people that they were worth it. Students found these messages and shared them across social media, in a way, creating a scavenger hunt for others to find.

#ChooseYou will be continuing this movement at a larger scale throughout the year, so stay tuned and see what’s coming next.

Students interested in learning about this organization and ways to can get involved can look out for flyers around campus regarding upcoming general interest meetings or email chooseyounp@gmail.com.

Follow #ChooseYou on social media for updates, information, and some daily inspiration.

Facebook: ChooseYou

Instagram: @ChooseYouNP

Twitter: @NPChooseYou

Emily is a Junior at New Paltz currently studying communications with a concentration in public relations and minoring in general business. In the future she would like to work for a magazine either writing or doing PR for them. She loves fashion, photography, writing, traveling, friends, family...and her dog. You can follow her on Instagram @emilybeth220
Sara is a third-year student at SUNY New Paltz, where she is majoring in Public Relations and General Business. She absolutely loves being able to spend time with family, friends, boyfriend, and dog. In addition, she loves fashion, keeping up to date on celebrity news, makeup, shopping, and watching Disney movies and Nicholas Sparks Films. Her future goals include either working for a fashion magazine in the city or opening her own event planning business. Follow her Instagram @sararay23