How My Life has Changed Since I Stopped Drinking Soda and Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

I’ve been saying for years that I was finally going to buckle down and change the way I ate. I would do it for two weeks, and then I would stop and cave to junk food and soda once again. However, last semester I found out that I am lactose intolerant. After finding this out, I decided I had to cut coffee out of my diet. While I was at it I decided I was going to finally cut soda out of my diet entirely.

The first few weeks were hard and I spent a lot of time adjusting and trying to fix my sleep schedule. Even now it’s still hard to resist an iced coffee on the mornings when I’m really tired. However, I have been off coffee and soda for four months now. Over the summer I lost 12 pounds and I wake up feeling more rested and energized now.

I drink exclusively water now and I am working today to cut out snacks. I know that the lifestyle change I am trying to make will take a lot of work and the road ahead will not be easy, but I already feel much better, and that continues to motivate me. Waking up more energized and being able to last all day without getting tired is a great feeling, and I can’t wait to keep progressing as time goes on.

I work out a moderate amount and I know I have a long way to go. However, I know that if I keep with it and continue to eat better on campus and stick with water, I will succeed in finally accomplishing my goal.

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.