This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

At the beginning of this semester, I promised myself that this was going to be my semester to shine. Due to scheduling conflicts, I was left with only fourteen credits, which was light for this eighteen credit semester kinda girl. So before coming back to school, I wanted to live the “typical” college life; go to class, do homework, stay up, live for the college life. Although I’m not anything close to what the normal college girl could be viewed as. I am finally finding myself and where the balance between academics and play meet.

During the week I study, study, study. I work hard in order to treat myself on the weekend. So far, I’m pretty happy with how it is going. I found a couple mantras that have been keeping me going. My favorite is that everything happens for a reason. Without this saying, I honestly don’t know where I would be in life. I’ve recently learned that I have to roll with the punches and not let the small things get to me, which is a lot harder than I like to think. In addition to this, I strive to take it one day at a time. I can’t worry about what is in the past, or the future; I have to live in the present and truly appreciate what is happening. Lastly, the reason I keep getting up after I mess up is that mistakes are proof that you are trying. It’s proven that more mistakes actually lead to better comprehension and learning, so why not embrace them?

Spring semester is always hard. The first few nice days make every college student want to go outside and forget about all the work they have to get done. I am pushing past the early onset of senioritis and living my best life. I am happy, or at least working towards it! Everyday gets better and better, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for me next. I’m coming for you Spring Semester. You better watch your back!

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.