Campus Celebrity: Emily Lovelass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Name: Emily Lovelass

Class Status: Senior

Hometown: Vestal, NY

Major: Double Major in English and Public Relations

Positions on Campus: President & Social Chair of Alpha Kappa Phi, Representative of United Greek Association, Member of Red Cross Club

HC: Why is Greek Life so important to you?

EL: “I’ve met so many people through it who have changed my life for the better.  So many people put in so much to philanthropy and making the community a better place.  I’ve loved seeing the commitment to making a positive impact.”

HC: What does your sorority do to help the community?

EL: “So much.  We’re actually the only 5-star credited sorority on campus, which means we’re most connected with the campus staff.  We’re also involved with two philanthropies for lupus and sickle cell anemia which is important to us because two of our alumni have these diseases.  We do campus clean-ups, make a difference day, anything we can get our hands on.”

HC: What do you find most rewarding about your sorority?

EL: “Wow, there’s so much. Making these meaningful, lifetime connections with people.  It’s rare that you click with people so well.  Here at New Paltz, there’s always a friend or face no matter where you go.”

HC: How do you juggle schoolwork and your involvement on campus?

EL: “It’s never easy, but I’m a huge planner. I’m going to be an event planner.  It’s not that difficult to me because I went to a competitive high school and it was easier to adapt.”

HC: Where do you see your future after New Paltz?

EL: “I’ve been throwing around a few ideas.  I’m toying around with the idea of law school.  No matter what I do, if I can make a difference, I’ll be happy.  People get wrapped up with a salary or a title, but it’s more than that for me.  I just hope that I can help people.”

HC: Who inspires you the most?

EL: “I would say my mom.  It sounds so cliche but it’s true.  I’m the person I am today because of her.  My family as a whole is very giving, loving, and have always helped me to reach my full potential.  Also Amal Clooney, George Clooney’s wife.  She’s a huge humanitarian and her fashion is on point.”

Emily with her sorority, Alpha Kappa Phi

HC: What is your favorite thing about New Paltz?

EL: “You see something or learn something new everyday. It’s definitely an entertaining place to be.”

HC: What song gets you motivated?

EL: “There’s so many songs I love right now. Pretty much any Kanye West song. I just love him, I know so many people don’t. It just gets me ready to get things done.”

HC: What’s your go-to on Netflix?

EL: “I’ve been obsessed with How to Get Away With Murder lately. I love murder documentaries on Netflix, too.”

HC: What is your favorite college memory?

EL: “When I first met my big in my sorority, Nicole. It’s ridiculous how quickly we got along. We became best friends. She introduced me to and represents New Paltz for me. She is my experience here.”

HC: If you could play one musical instrument, what would it be?

EL: “I play ukulele and guitar, so I got that down. Probably the bagpipes, honestly. It sounds so ridiculous. But I’m very Irish, so it’s a big part of my heritage. It’s just a hilarious instrument.”

Briana is nineteen years old from Long Island, NY. She studies journalism and art at SUNY New Paltz. She loves the beach, writing music reviews, going to concerts, and having chill nights in with her friends & family (usually watching Netflix and eating ice cream). She is an upbeat, friendly introvert and never leaves home (or the dorm) without her pen, notebook & earbuds.