danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

From Business to Boho

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

With March around the corner, that means it is time to start looking into summer internships. So definitely make sure you’re keeping a close eye on everything you want to apply for. And here to give us an insider on her spring semester internship and offer us some advice is Carol Tyson. 

Major: Marketing 

Zodiac Sign: Gemini

Relationship Status: Single 

Hometown: Clinton Corners 

Year:  Junior

Tell us a little bit about your internship and how you landed the internship?

“So I work for Townsquare Media. They own a bunch of media outlets, like the local radio stations. It’s cool because I get to work one on one with the DJ’s, work in the studio and learn how to use the sound equipment. I actually googled music industry internships and it showed one in Poughkeepsie, which was perfect. It’s funny because my boss emailed me to come in for an interview with her the day before I went to the Phillipines and she actually gave me the job on the spot. So as soon as I came home I started.”

Can you share with us your typical day on the job duties as an intern?

“It varies day to day. On Thursdays I work the morning shift, so I work in the studio with the DJ’s and during the shift I listen to the show for four hours. I take clips of the show, which are from 6 a.m. – 10 a.m. and edit it using a program to export it into iMovie, which I then post onto their Youtube channel.”

What has been your biggest obstacle so far as an intern?

“Coming up with creative ideas because there are nine interns and you want your work to stand out from the rest. We have a project due every week and this week we have a public service announcement which I have to write and record. So it pushes my creativity which can be hard but its rewarding.”

I understand that you’re also on the Tennis team and your season is about to begin. Do you have any idea of how you’ll be managing school, tennis and work?

Um, a lot of coffee! [Laughs] I think the toughest day will be Thursdays. I have to get used to waking up at 4 a.m. But they’re [her bosses] cool because I get to do some homework after I finish some tasks at work. They’re pretty lenient so it’s awesome.

Do you have any tips for anyone who is currently looking for internships for the summer?

I would definitely take advantage of your college Career Resource Center and the college Job Fair. But definitely talk to someone in the Career Resource Center because they can give you advice on writing a resume and cover letter. Just apply to everything because you have nothing to lose.

How would your friends describe your style?

I would have to say fun. I consider myself a bit of a free spirit. So I guess Boho in a sense. I love wearing turquoise and layering jewelry. My favorite season is summer. I love wearing flowy things and flannels. 

What’s your favorite accessory?

My African waist bead! 

Now for some fun questions!

Man Crush: James Franco

Pet Peeve: Slow walkers, people who don’t put their blinkers on and people that bail on plans.

Guilty Pleasure: Russo’s sandwhich

Dream Destination: Australia

What’s the first thing you’d do if you won the lottery?: Buy a puppy! 

If you want to know more about Carol and look at some amazing pictures of her trip to the Philippines, make sure you follow her on Instagram @caroltyson

As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.