5 Winter Activities to Keep You in Shape this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

One of the best things about going to a college with a diverse landscape is the endless possibilities for exercise routines that don’t feel like a burden. Here are five fun activities you can do to stay fit this winter.

1. Ice Skating

One of the more best aspects of ice skating is the immense amount of health benefits it provides. Not only is ice skating a great cardio workout, Health Fitness Revolution says it’s also great for those looking to tone their muscles, increase joint flexibility, improve balance, and increase their endurance. Ice skating is a great idea for a date, or a fun activity to do with a few friends. At New Paltz there are two options for ice skating: Mohonk Mountain House ($17/person) or the Civic Center in Poughkeepsie.

2. Snowboarding or Skiing

Although snowboarding and skiing require a lot of dedication and skill, they’re great for people who aren’t afraid of a challenge. Much like ice skating, these activities provide a great cardio routine, while also working the major muscle groups and increasing joint flexibility. In New Paltz there are two mountains about 45 minutes away: Hunter Mountain and Windham Mountain. The plus side? Both offer cheap rental and lesson packages for beginners (approximately $130 for everything).

3. Sledding or Snow Tubing

If heavy duty sports (or prices) aren’t for you, there’s always the option of finding a big (or small) hill and riding down in a sled or snow tube with friends. It’s the perfect way to spend a snow day, and the activity is practically free. Near New Paltz there’s the option of heading to Mohonk Mountain, Windham Mountain ($20/two hours/person) or Hunter Mountain ($20/two hours/person). Don’t feel like driving? Get creative! There’s plenty of steep hills in New Paltz. Southside hill anyone?

4. Hot Yoga

If the cold isn’t really your thing, there’s always the *hot* alternative. No, really. It’s HOT. Multiple yoga studios in New Paltz offer hot yoga classes (Rock Yoga, $10 for students). Not only does this improve flexibility, but it also helps you sweat out toxins and build strength. If intense heat isn’t your thing, the Wellness and Recreation center on campus offers yoga classes regularly.

5. Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

If all of the others options aren’t really for you, there’s always the Frozen method: build a snowman. Let’s be honest, anything is better than laying in bed and watching Netflix…and no, getting up for snacks doesn’t count as exercise. Once the snow starts falling, all of that snow rolling and lifting will surely get your heart rate up and strengthen your muscles. There has to be a reason for the soreness you feel after, right?

100% Colombian. My hobbies include eating buffalo wings, doing yoga and binge watching Netflix.