Write the World Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Before anything else, before anyone else, you need to put yourself first…YOU.

Only you know what you have and haven’t experienced, your hopes and dreams, your fears and secrets, and so on. So why not put it all down? Why not give journaling a try?

It’s quite simple actually, just pick out a journal that you like and write, draw, do anything you like in it. Is there a song lyric you can’t get out of your head? Write it down. Is there something that’s been nagging at you? Write it down. Draw what comes to mind, write a poem, paste your favorite pictures. Journaling doesn’t have to be boring, it’s a freedom of expression. Still not convinced?

1. It can be for your eyes only.

It’s not always easy to open up to others, let alone interact with others. Take advantage of getting some privacy. In this age of social media, so much is shared and publicized, you deserve to have something that’s just yours.

2. You learn more about yourself.

When you start writing, drawing, or pasting everything that comes to mind, you have the opportunity to watch yourself evolve and pin point common trends throughout your journal. You learn what interests you, what upsets you, what makes you…you essentially.

3. You get to have your own portable time machine.

Ever have one of those moments? You know, the one you just never want to forget? You never want to forget that feeling, the sight, the smell, the sounds, everything…you want it engraved in your memory? Write it down! You can reminisce years from now! Or perhaps you have one of those moments you just want to completely forget. You’re hurt, angry, embarrassed, confused? Write it down, you could learn to laugh at the bad moments too, or grow from them!

4. You get that me-time you deserve!

Again, put YOU first. Making the time to de-stress may seem impossible when you’re surrounded by deadlines, school, and work but your mental health is the most important. You need to take care of yourself, use this outlet to let everything pour out. You’ll feel refreshed and ready to take on anything, your confidence can slowly but surely grow.

5. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

For all the reasons above, you could learn to appreciate your journal because it can become a part of you. It doesn’t have to be your only outlet, perhaps it can be one of many. The bottom line is, you have the opportunity to turn empty pages into ANYTHING.

So when one journal fills up, go on to the next! Create a collection of memories, lessons, and creativity. Love yourself.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!