This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Our skin is one of the most precious and fragile aspects of our body that just seems to never stay consistent. Clear and hydrated skin is what all of us want, but all sorts of factors, such as genetics, hormones, and diet can cause breakouts and texture changes. Diet is the one thing we can alter to try and minimize acne and clear up our skin.

Too Much Sodium

If you consume a high amount of sodium in your diet, you may be drying out your skin. Salt dehydrates the body, taking away the moisture of the skin along with it. A high amount of sodium can also cause redness and irritation, along with the dryness. For those of you with oily skin, sodium can actually be making your skin more oily. The glands in your skin that produce oil will work even harder to make up for the dehydration caused by the salt. Along with dehydration, sodium also causes puffiness by decreasing collagen production. Collagen is an extremely important protein that slows down the aging process. The average American consumes almost two times the amount of sodium that is daily recommended, 2,300 mg, which is why so many of us have problematic skin.

Too Much Sugar

Sugar may be causing your breakouts! When you consume a large amount of sugar, your insulin levels spike, which cause inflammation. This large spike and trigger oil production, which can clog your pores, causing acne. Too much sugar can also deteriorate the collagen in your skin, leading to early aging and wrinkles. Make sure to choose foods lower in sugar levels if you want to avoid acne breakouts.

Fats and Oils

You may think that oily foods are causing your oily skin, but scientists say that healthy fats and oils, such as fish and olive oil, can actually improve your skin health. However, low-fat and reduced-fat may be affecting the hormones in your body, leading to an increase of oil production in your skin. If you want glowing skin, try and consume foods with omega 3 fatty acids, such as salmon, dark leafy greens, and nuts and seeds.

Water

Water is extremely important for clear and hydrated skin. You have probably heard this many times before, but drinking lots of water will actually help your skin. Although some people’s genetics and hormones may prevent water from being the answer to clear skin, it will never do any harm so drink as much as you can. Water fuels all of your organs, so if you are not drinking enough water, your skin can become dry, irritated, and lose plasticity, causing aging effects. Drink Water! 

Abby Walsh is a sophomore at NC State University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Nutrition. She loves all things health and exercise related and has a passion for mental health. She is a proud Leo woman, with a love for Astrology. She is so happy to have the opportunity to use Her Campus as an outlet to empower other women through her writing!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU