This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As the curtain descends on the sixth and final season of the critically acclaimed series of The Crown, we find ourselves ensconced in a regal narrative rich with sartorial opulence and historical gravitas. This concluding chapter features the timeless style inspiration of Diana, Princess of Wales, and academic chic with the introduction of Kate Middleton. From the fairytale-esque romance of William and Kate to the solemn planning of the funeral for the late Queen Elizabeth II, The Crown’s farewell season serves as a majestic tableau of fashion, romance, and royal legacy. Join us as we reflect on Vogue’s illustrious legacy interwoven with The Crown and reminisce the pivotal royal moments immortalized within its pages. 

Vogue Archives: Monarch Royalty Uncovered

While the archives hold immaculate photographs and documentation of the royal family’s finest, Vogue’s intimate connection with royalty finds its roots in the work of Cecil Beaton, British Vogue’s esteemed photographer. Summoned to Buckingham Palace in 1939, Beaton captured Queen Elizabeth in a series of prints marked “do not publish,” teasing the world’s fascination with lavish ensembles and idyllic lives. The author, Robin Muir, recently unveiled never-before-seen photographs featured in The Crown in Vogue, revealing Cecil Beaton’s first color image of Queen Elizabeth in 1984, adorned in a stunning Norman Hartnell crinoline.

Queen Elizabeth II in Norman Harnell by royalfamily_archive

The Crown in Vogue: A Chronicle of Royal Styling

Embark on a visual journey through a captivating array of timeless photographs suspended in the exquisite realms of royalty and grandeur. Within this curated collection, anticipate discovering treasures that showcase the enchanting world of the royal family and their esteemed associates. Notably, Queen Elizabeth II, an unparalleled subject of photographic allure, stands as one of the most captured figures globally, intensifying the anticipation for her Vogue debut. Unveiling her majestic evolution since her inaugural appearance at the tender age of one, the pinnacle of her photographic legacy manifests in her first Vogue cover in April 2022, released decades after her initial feature. Marking the celebration of Her Majesty’s platinum jubilee, this extraordinary cover highlights a 1957 portrait masterfully captured by Anthony Armstrong Jones, encapsulating the timeless elegance that defines her reign.

Queen Elizabeth II Vogue by hrhofsussex

The Crown’s Homage

Enter the visual realm crafted by Emmy award-winning costume designers Amy and Sidonie Roberts, an exquisite blend of elegance and narrative. The sixth and final season unveils the finest costume design, portraying Diana’s off-duty grace, Kate Middleton’s stylish evolution, and the queen’s delicate regality. In an interview with Bazaar magazine, Sidonie highlights the importance of trust-building through seamless re-creations, ensuring the show immerses audiences in a visual feast – and that it does!

The Crown in Vogue by Specialeditionbooks

Among the regal setting and ostentatious exhibitions, The Crown reincarnates famous ensembles and transports audiences through eras of glamor. Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, and Princess Diana embody elements of personal style, defying societal norms with grace. Even Queen Elizabeth II, with her preference for vibrant colors and patterns, adds a touch of unexpected flair. The Crown isn’t merely influencing fashion; it’s a visual journey that encourages audiences to appreciate intricate details and escape the transient trends of fast fashion.

The Crown Costumes by Theblondesalad

A Royal Departure

In honor of the legendary conclusion of one of the most viewed shows, we cherish the regal imprint on the screen and pages of history, a testament to the everlasting intersection of Vogue’s illustrious heritage with the remarkable world of royalty. The Crown may have bid farewell, but its visual resonance will linger as a beacon of timeless elegance and cultural influence.

Katy Masden, a junior at NC State majoring in Business Marketing, is on track to graduate early in the spring of 2024. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurriculars and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition takes her abroad, with London as her destination of choice. There, she plans to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.